Grandpa was cool.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sister sent me this copy of an old photo. This is my Grandpa with the go cart he built. Before he built it, he built his own arc welder. She also sent photos of his notebook (old school kind with lined paper, no hard drive, lol) showing notes and designs for the welder. He may not have been into rat rod bicycles, but he had a little rat rodder in him.
20210710_153126.jpg

20210603_121920.jpg

My grandpa was a mechanic. He was crushed by a forklift, lost most of the use of his hands. His "physiotherapy" was to take up welding and metal working to teach them how to work again. Now that my parents are downsizing, I'll be taking possession of a few of the items he made.
Also survived the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, doing stuff that had to be done, regardless of the consequences. We ain't the same as them.

That is so cool!!!!

That kinda stuff is golden to me. Mr. Thunder is right- those folks were made different than we are now.
How true. There is a reason they call them, "The Greatest Generation."

My sister sent me this copy of an old photo. This is my Grandpa with the go cart he built. Before he built it, he built his own arc welder. She also sent photos of his notebook (old school kind with lined paper, no hard drive, lol) showing notes and designs for the welder. He may not have been into rat rod bicycles, but he had a little rat rodder in him.
View attachment 164477
View attachment 164478
My Grandpa Richter was a Ford mechanic at the Ford garage in Darlington Wisconsin and was a builder of v8 60's for the short track midgets back in the 40's -50's and really knew all the tricks of the day to know how to make the little Ford v8's sing. They just don't make them like that any more.. Good stuff Maynard... Razin...

Your Grandpa would definitely fit right in here.
I haven’t heard of many people that built their own arc-welder. They had to be resourceful because they couldn’t just stop by Harbor Freight on the way home from work and pick up what they needed.

Latest posts

Back