Greaser - (7/28) Complete

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Greaser - 7/12 update & pics

well, i finally found the crank and sprocket i wanted to use. here it is installed.

newcrank.jpg

i had an old guitar strap laying around so i made some hub wraps out of it for the front and rear.

hubwrap.jpg

i also added a fender ornament.

brassknuc.jpg

and here's another current overview.

side712.jpg

much bettter! now all you need is a sweet add-on to that rack.

i agree, i've thought the rack needed "something" ever since i painted it but i can't seem to find "something" that looks good. i'll keep trying...

maybe some sort of fin in the middle? this bike is really cool and would be very comfortable to ride which is a plus over our low down dirty boardtrackers hehe

Re: Greaser - 7/19 Great Balls Of Fire!!!

well, i changed a few things around on the bike. here's a quick list. i changed the handlebars, removed the rear rack, added a new tail light, relocated the speedometer and changed a few other minor details.....

pic1.jpg

i think the bike has a much better flow now but i couldn't help but think it was still missing something, something really cool. 8) so after listening to a ton of 50's music and alot of brainstorming i finally asked myself.... "what did all the really cool 50's lead sleds and hot rods have that set them apart from the rest?" as fate would have it, right at that same moment a jerry lee lewis song came on and i got my answer....

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!!!

fire1.jpg

yep, there you have it, a flaming "exhaust". of course there's no exhaust on a bicycle so other means had to be utilized. i mounted a propane cylinder inside the bikes tank and piped it in with aluminum pilot tubing.

propane.jpg

the aluminum tubing runs to a push button release valve i mounted to the tank.

button.jpg

then the tubing runs all the way to the back of the bike to a electronic pilot assembly i mounted behind my hub cap.

pilot.jpg

that pilot assembly creates a continuous 1500 degree electric arc directly in the path of the gas resulting in instant ignition. that arc is powered by a ignition module and battery pack contained in this leather cylinder bag.

bag.jpg

the spark is activated by this switch mounted to the frame.

switch.jpg

so thats it then, while i'm riding down the street i throw the switch on to make the spark then hit the button on the tank and i get instant flames shooting out the back of my bike. pretty neat huh? of course i only use it in quick bursts 'cause i don't want any parts to get hot.

fire2.jpg

the whole system fits nice and neatly inside my tank and behind the hub cap. you'd never know it was there.

wheel.jpg

well that's it for now, i'll try to get some more pics up later.

pic2.jpg

Oh yeah! I like those bars. And you can be cruisin' and making smores, all at the same time!

I felt the same. No more bean dip for you fender'
mmmm, bean dip is good...

so my girlfriend finally got home from work and she snapped this pic of the bike in action.

fire3.jpg

15 years as a gas fireplace service technician comes in handy sometimes. :D

dude! thats awesome! i like the bars and the sneaky sneaky flame thrower.

night riding video! night riding video! night riding video!!

hey i'm really glad everyone digs the flame thrower. :D it kinda took awhile to get it all to come together but i think it worked out better than i had anticipated. another cool thing was even with all the stuff packed in the tank i was still able to keep my horn working. i'll get my girlfriend to shoot some night video asap, she works for the next few evenings so it might be a couple of days.

Latest posts

Back