RRBBO13 Green Irish

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spur of the moment entry. I was building this early for next March 17 and it fits in the build off time frame.

No before photos. * 1990ish American made department store mountain bike. This bike was destined for the scrap heap, metal recycling. Once stripped down I decided I liked the color and the oversized frame tubes. Heavy throughout. The bulk of the prep was removing the vinyl decals. Ground off the cable stops/guides, touched up the paint, waxed. Re-spaced the frame to 110mm for a coaster hub. The first wheel build was declared a failure. Bent rim and some truly bad spokes. Snapping spokes in two at the slightest pressure. Just got another rim and painted that today. Swapped out the 165 mm crank for a 170mm crank. Green tires ordered and then canceled by the seller citing "defective batch notice from the manufacturer". Gee, thanks, should I order the same from another seller? Meh, got some fat bontragers to put on for now. Saved $45 for now. If the bike luckilly rides nice, maybe I'll spring some green for new treads.

Here are some parts photos.

Going to a 4th of July parade tomorrow so the build will have to wait until a few days to get finished up. Green really isn't the right color for the forth.

* If you really need a before photo, visit this site that includes a Dynamo, a close relative.
http://www.bicyclerainbow.com/mountain-bikes/22-crappy-mountain-bikes-i-didnt-have-time-to-photograph-thoroughly-part-1.php#huffy%20dynamo

Welcome to BO13. Being from the home of the second largest St Pats Day in the US, I approve this build.

giphy.gif

Done for now. Still thinking of the green tires. The seller said the manufacturer notified him the tires were defective so the seller canceled the order. And would you order the same tires from another seller who may be less scrupulous or uninformed or maybe has a supply from a different batch that may be defective too?

Single speed conversions go pretty fast. Paint dry. Wheels spoked up. Assembly takes 30 minutes. Rides okay. Photos taken.

copper paint on the aluminum rims. black spokes for contrast.

copper paint on the aluminum rims, black spokes for contrast, green chain!

green sparkle paint for the stem.
copper paint for the bars.

paint fade where the stickers weren't.

black paint on the sprocket and washer. Green pedals (washed out by the over exposure)

upload_2018-7-5_12-33-56.jpeg

Now that is an unusual (but cool) natural "patina".

Maybe in another 30 years, it will all be faded to the same color. Now it blends in with the Iowa city scapes and country side so riding may not be a safe thing to do. Yeah, it's really green here now.

Rides smooth with those big tires. A bit small for me. Could be a good campus bike.

Latest posts

Back