Grocery Hauler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I appologize for starting my thread so late. I much rather build than type. I started about a month ago and didn't really think I'd have a chance of finishing in time. As things progressed It seems that it just might happen. My goal is to make a cycle truck with big enough space to haul my softball stuff to games. I also want it big enough that I don't look ridiculus on it. the donor frames are three girls bikes.
limegreen006-1.jpg

limegreen005.jpg

I ended up ditching most of the blue Schwinn. I cut and stretched the frame about 7 inches. At the time I didn't think that was much. Once I got it to a point that I could sit on it I found that was quite a bit. I am using a 24 inch wheel on the front. Most of the ones that I have seen have 20 inch up front. probaply to keep the load center of gravity low. I hope my bulk will offset that.
limegreen007.jpg

limegreen008.jpg

I clamped it with some 2x4s to keep it all aligned. The top tube was fabbed with a piece of 3/4 pluming pipe curved with a conduit bender. Th rest is from another girls bike.
limegreen009.jpg

limegreen010.jpg

limegreen011.jpg

After getting all of the new top bars welded in. I cut out and ground down the extra lower bar. Next I had to lengthen the stem of the mountain bike fork I am using. I wasn't my first choice but it was the only thing I had around that was close to fitting. I also made a support for my basket. I was from an exercise bike. I had to cut it down a lot.
Nov09parkbikes038.jpg

I forgot to take photos during the prime and paint stage. Must have been the spray fumes. went with a semi gloss blck on the frame and rims. I had a crushed up rear fender from my Typhoon. I cut it to make two bobbed fenders. The front one has a lot of character. The rear tire is a maxxis hookworm. I love those big fat tires cramed into little fenders. I hope to get a 24 hookworm for the front.
oct09maddieblackbike006.jpg

oct09maddieblackbike007.jpg

oct09maddieblackbike011.jpg

The sprocket is an AMF I belive. I pulled of the extra gear. The hub is beautifull Lucznik coaster stamped 1962. I'm still up in the air on seats. I had to lenghten the handle bars 3 inches because of the strethch.

Today I worked on the basket. I entertained the use of a wooden beer case, a old tool box. wood pepsi case and a bread tray. It is very disorienting riding without a clear view of what is directly in front of you so I went with the bread basket. I found some chromed shelf parts to add heighth and strenght to the basket. I also found some scrap aluminum treadplate at work to make tank plates.
cycletruck011.jpg

cycletruck009.jpg

cycletruck007.jpg

basketbike002.jpg

basketbike004.jpg

I welded in brackets that matched th mounting holes from the exercycle and tabs for the tank plates.
basketbike003.jpg

basketbike001.jpg

Tonight I have to get the brakes woking better and settl on a seat.

Outstanding job! I love this bike, appreciate the work towards fitting it to your size as I'm 6'7 235lbs.
Great job again. How tall are you?

I'm 6'2" 270ish. Not exactly the ideal height to weight ratio. People always tell me that I'm surprisingly fast for a big guy. Although, that may be the male equivilant of "she's got a great personallity".

Got the bike mostly finished today. Changed the seat from the leather one I had gone with till now. this one is a bit
more comfortable.
Bikeday2015.jpg

Changed the pedals to rough set of bowties. They had been super rusty. Also put on a small taillight which is not wired yet.
Bikeday2016.jpg

Twisted on a bottle opener to the handle bars as well as a drink holder. These will all come in handy during softball season.
Bikeday2017.jpg

After lunch the whole family went over to the new section of highway I-64. It will open to traffic Dec. 7th, but today it was open to bikes and pedestrians.
Bikeday2008.jpg

It was a brisk day so we started out with some light calisthenics.
Bikeday2009.jpg

The Rams did us a huge favor by not scoring at all while we were out for our ride. We didn't miss out on any of the action. They really care about the fans.

It was pretty crowded on I-64 for bike day. Lots of serious riders expressing thier annoyance at the casual riders and families. Despite the jerks in the crowd we had a good time and found a few spots to take some pictures. By the way this bike drives like a bus and is big enough to do some serious damage. I got to work on improving the brakes. Along with a matching 24" hookworm front tire and some pinstiping.
I-64bikeday011.jpg

I-64bikeday014.jpg

I-64bikeday006.jpg

I-64bikeday001.jpg

Latest posts

Back