GTHOtrod's Hot finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todays market place score. Picked up these two, imported from England in the 1960s, when the original owners moved to Australia.
1957 Raleigh Wayfarer. Sturmey Archer 3 speed AG dynamo hub
1957 Norman Ladies. Sturmey Archer 3 speed SW hub.
Pics are as found.
Aired up the tyres, fixed a leaky valve, adjusted the gear cables, and took them both for a hoon around.
20211127_121605.jpg
20211127_121619.jpg
20211127_121627.jpg
20211127_121715.jpg
20211127_121704.jpg

Last edited:
I really wish I could look beyond the cottered cranks to let a Raleigh like those into my garage. They're such solidly built bikes. The Brits had a club for the rough stuff long before the crazy hippies hurled fat tires down a mountain.

I really wish I could look beyond the cottered cranks to let a Raleigh like those into my garage. They're such solidly built bikes. The Brits had a club for the rough stuff long before the crazy hippies hurled fat tires down a mountain.
For some reason I have a fascination with geared hubs. Must be the machinist in me hahaha. For no reason at all I have always had a dislike for derailers.
These old English tanks are a great source for an IGH, but then you get attached and can't bring yourself to chop them up hahaha

The Norman is a sight for sore eyes, from my home town of Ashford. The factory had gone, but I used to visit the bicycle repair shop that stood near the former factory gates, and admire the immaculate Norman bike in the window.

The Norman is a sight for sore eyes, from my home town of Ashford. The factory had gone, but I used to visit the bicycle repair shop that stood near the former factory gates, and admire the immaculate Norman bike in the window.
Awesome. I'm struggling to find any info on google about them.
It's a cool bike, I offered it to my daughter as a restoration project for her, and she's keen to restore it.
Still on its original Dunlop tyres too.
Like to retain the original paint, so we'll see how it comes up after a bath.
Only issue will be doing a wheel upgrade, 40 spoke hub on the rear makes it hard to find a rim for it.

Awesome. I'm struggling to find any info on google about them.
It's a cool bike, I offered it to my daughter as a restoration project for her, and she's keen to restore it.
Still on its original Dunlop tyres too.
Like to retain the original paint, so we'll see how it comes up after a bath.
Only issue will be doing a wheel upgrade, 40 spoke hub on the rear makes it hard to find a rim for it.
Well I hope that you keep us to date on it, Normans are one of the few manufacturers that actually interests me, and I wish there was more on the internet about them as well.

At this point, I've stolen the rims off the schwinn for my Raleigh retrotech build, the 26x1.95s fit the Raleigh perfectly. But that's a project for later on.

Screenshot_20211211-131551_Facebook.jpg

Today's pick up, Worth the $10 just for the tyres. Kenda 26"gum walls, with as new tread. Little dry, but my special mix tyre goo should see them good to use again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back