GTHOtrod's Hot finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get the cover (or) you smell like wet leather all day.
a3e1cd77d9439248ba4cf4ef08a9fb40--bike-seat-cargo-bike.jpg

Picked up this weird Huffy at the dump along with a generic bmx.
20220731_144846.jpg

I thought the frame shape would make for a good muscle bike build down the track.

Replaced the rear tube, deleted the horrid suspension fork with a rigid off the shelf, plus threw the bars and stem from the bmx onto it
20220731_154117.jpg

Looks better, but the seat post is near vertical, and it is Horrible to ride. Something a banana seat and ape hangars will rectify.
20220731_154744.jpg

Last edited:
Score from the recycling centre. Alloy frame,
700c, nice welds, has a nice shape with that sloping downhill top tube.
20221025_132931.jpg

I had visions of using this as a base for a 'fast ripper' style build. But having such a long steer tube means my landing gear forks won't fit.
I changed out the seat, post, stem and bars to have a 'feel'. But the bars are up too high, and the forks won't allow for a proper width 29" tyre.
20221025_161235.jpg

But it will make for a perfect 1x gravel build.
So I stripped it back, and put into storage for later.

Picked up my first SE bike today, advertised as 'old single speed, by the way the hub doesn't work, so it's a single speed'.
It was cheap, and Has a cool stem and cranks, so i took a chance on it.
Pulled the hub apart, their fix was to just grease the jibblets out of it. Some how the pawls had come adrift and jammed up. Clean, and reassembly. A very fiddly time consuming reassembly. And we have three gears.👌 winner👍
20221114_151906.jpg
20221114_151915.jpg
20221114_151921.jpg
20221114_161339.jpg
20221114_161345.jpg
20221114_161348.jpg

Last edited:
Today's freebie scores
Shogun Trail Breaker. Looks like a cool peice to resto/ survivor build. Has some nice components and cromo frame.
20221125_093057.jpg
20221125_140706.jpg
20221125_140713.jpg
20221125_140720.jpg
20221125_140727.jpg

Also grabbed this Apollo from the same place.
Had a nice Tange fork, canti's and araya rims.
It wasn't until I had it half stripped, I noticed the tri stay rear end and cromo decal. Interesting bike🤔
20221125_095702.jpg

Might look good as a frame flip gender bender?

Shogun is a really good Japanese brand with a cult following. That one will be a solid rider. Don't know anything about the Apollo, but would like to see the Tange fork. It could be made using their steel, or it could actually be manufactured by Tange, which would be more valuable by a bunch.

Freed up the brakes, gears, chain etc.
Added a pair of old, but far less perished tyres, and we have a riding survivor. Needs a lot of work from here, but good to get a feel before jumping in on a rebuild. View attachment 218088View attachment 218089View attachment 218090
The Shoguns of that era are a great bike. Yours looks to be in great condition. That is the same year and model I have and has the early, beautifully made Taiwanese cr-mo frame. This is the first bike I ever bought new back in 89 while I was studying at uni. I replaced the Tioga farmer John’s nephew dirt tires on mine shortly after I bought it with fat road tyres and it transformed it.

I stupidly sold it in the early 2000’s and replaced it with an alloy Merida suspension fork bike which was horrible to ride and slow compared to the Shogun. I got it back as a wreck about 10 years later, swapping my barely used Merida for it.

It took a few years to find the period correct nos parts (when they were still relatively cheap) so I took the liberty to upgrade most of them. The original decals weren’t available so I used a set available for an earlier Japanese made road bike. The worse part of the restoration was the stuck alloy seat post which I eventually removed by dissolving it with drain cleaner. Everything on the bike was trashed with the exception of the frame. I’ve ridden it a few times but the aggressive riding position aggravates my crook neck and I also find it small compared to most of my other rides.
F2BCA82E-8307-48E1-AEE3-DFA966CCC4AF.jpeg
3FCB9E6D-AC68-4BF8-8B2E-810D2B6CB3FF.jpeg

Last edited:
The Shoguns of that era are a great bike. Yours looks to be in great condition. That is the same year and model I have and has the early, beautifully made Taiwanese cr-mo frame. This is the first bike I ever bought new back in 89 while I was studying at uni. I replaced the Tioga farmer John’s nephew dirt tires on mine shortly after I bought it with fat road tyres and it transformed it.

I stupidly sold it in the early 2000’s and replaced it with an alloy Merida suspension fork bike which was horrible to ride and slow compared to the Shogun. I got it back as a wreck about 10 years later, swapping my barely used Merida for it.

It took a few years to find the period correct nos parts (when they were still relatively cheap) so I took the liberty to upgrade most of them. The original decals weren’t available so I used a set available for an earlier Japanese made road bike. The worse part of the restoration was the stuck alloy seat post which I eventually removed by dissolving it with drain cleaner. Everything on the bike was trashed with the exception of the frame. I’ve ridden it a few times but the aggressive riding position aggravates my crook neck and I also find it small compared to most of my other rides. View attachment 218144View attachment 218145
That's a sweet looking beast.
I too am suffering a stuck seat post on this one👎
Want to preserve the paint as best I can, and retain the original decals. It is scratched and knocked around, But I think some citric acid cleaning and polishing should bring it back.

I used caustic soda to sort out the stuck post after watching a video on youtube. You need to cut the post down leaving about an inch protruding from the frame. Fill the seat mast with a mix of CS and water. The solution slowly eats away at the alloy post and after 5 or so fills it will be the thickness of a coke can. Pull whatever is left of it out with pliers. The CS does not affect steel. Make sure you use gloves and a mask.

Latest posts

Back