"GULF SWING" Fat tire Swingbike build! As done as it is gunna be!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "GULF SWING" Choppy choppy!

Pushie Pirate said:
Yep I'm pretty keen too LTJ, which way do you lean, Holden (GM Aust), Ford, Nissan or Merc?

I'll take a stab in the dark, Holden maybe or possibly Ford!!
Going for anything that is not a Holden, been cut off by too many Commodores in the past... What about you?

Luke.

I thought I would not have any progress to post this weekend, turns out I was wrong! My vinyl got delivered yesterday, I only just found it! Very happy!

Here it is with the seat patch:

10221249755_7f6e945b6f_z.jpg

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Pushie Pirate said:
Yep I'm pretty keen too LTJ, which way do you lean, Holden (GM Aust), Ford, Nissan or Merc?

I'll take a stab in the dark, Holden maybe or possibly Ford!!
Going for anything that is not a Holden, been cut off by too many Commodores in the past... What about you?

Luke.

Absolutely stoked that a Ford Finally one the great race after all too many years, well done Frosty and Richo junior!

Re: "GULF SWING" Vinyl arrived!!!

Glad to see your progress. I'm primed and think I will be putting up my first base coat tomorrow. At least on the forks. I gotta get a few tabs welded for a tank plate before I can start painting the frame. Very cool build you have going here.

Thanks Al! Really looking forward to seeing your Gulf bike done!

Feeling pretty dismal about my lack of progress actually, my health has taken a nosedive and the weather is against me too, gone all cold and wet again... I am having fun with that Paint.net program though, made up a new mock-up:

10262104494_85ff560778_z.jpg

No matter what I do, I cant get the bike to sit right with those top tubes, really need some longer ones or smaller wheels. Smaller wheels is a last resort for me, so off now to talk to a local tubing roller... Might be time to break out the wallet...

Luke.

Luke, the more I look at your rendering, I wonder about the angle of the forks and the seat post... When you go to use the "swingbike" action, wouldn't the sever angles you've rendered make the bike want to lean in? Or is that a good thing? Maybe the one under the seat needs to be more vertical, but then again that means longer top tubes...Just thinking out loud, every drawing you've put up in this thread has awesome potential. Peace, Carl.

Yep, it appears you noticed the same thing. I am not sure how it will work with those angles, it should in theory mean it will self center nicely, but that may mean it will be hard to get much swing...

I did not have any success at the local tube bending place, appears they have shut down. Might be able to find another, but thinking I might be able to extend those tubes a bit at each end if all else fails. With my health the way it is, I want an easy option that I know will work first time, so still trying to find longer tubes, not convinced the extended tubes will look right with flat sections welded to the ends...

Last resort will be straight sections of tube for the entire length of top tubes, but I don't think it would look anywhere near as nice.

Unrelated to this build, but did score at the scrap yard today, just dropped in while I was out, so not a complete loss! viewtopic.php?f=16&t=77149

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Yep, it appears you noticed the same thing. I am not sure how it will work with those angles, it should in theory mean it will self center nicely...
...thinking I might be able to extend those tubes a bit at each end if all else fails...
...Luke.

How about a stretched section where you have your Gulf logo? could be a tank of sorts, oval shaped and flat on each end, kinda like a paint stripper can turned on side (and obviously not tin... :lol: )

Solved my problem and made a good contact for later builds!

10286768784_9ecb47cb26_z.jpg

As you can see I now have more than enough curved tube, got 2 meters (6.5') of each size! Should have enough left over to build a small 20" version when I am done...

The best bit is the guy I met, awesome worker and can get me anything I could want to build bikes, I may even be going into Cr/Mo frames in the future! :mrgreen: This guy has two roller benders, the small one he did this tubing on, and one that is so big it is half underground and the dies have to be lowered on and off with an overhead crane! :shock:

Should be able to get going on the actual building now, just have to digitally mock it up again to get my angles right.

Luke.

Re: "GULF SWING" Longer frame tubes.

Awesome!! I go on a mini vacation and I'm so far behind. :lol: I'm really diggin the layout buddy!

bigfatcat said:
Awesome!! I go on a mini vacation and I'm so far behind. :lol: I'm really diggin the layout buddy!
Yeah, these new guys are showing us what for! We need to get our act together! :lol:

I am hoping that now I have everything to do the metalwork, I can get into it, get it built and practice some riding and tricks before pulling it back down for paint...

Luke.

Finalized the sticker/decal order today, including some very cool stuff that I bought extras of to share out on here!

Also bought the grips for the bike, I hope the color comes out right, very hard to tell on a computer screen but none of my local bike shops have orange grips even close... (Went everywhere today looking for them and wheels and tires for the PUCH.)

10290838615_38f348bb8a.jpg

I think aside from brake cables and pedals (I normally buy these locally from a hardware shop believe it or not!) everything is either here or on its way, so should not be any more hold-ups hopefully!

Luke.

Cool. I got lucky last weekend at a car show swap meet and found stickers. I bought a couple 4" which won't fit but also picked up a couple 2" that will work nicely. Got a couple ideas how to use the 4" ones. I think I will pick up an original gulf oil can and cut out a head badge from it also.
Your frame design is looking sick man.

Alsfelt said:
Cool. I got lucky last weekend at a car show swap meet and found stickers. I bought a couple 4" which won't fit but also picked up a couple 2" that will work nicely. Got a couple ideas how to use the 4" ones. I think I will pick up an original gulf oil can and cut out a head badge from it also.
Your frame design is looking sick man.
I have 3" (side panels), 2" (headbadge) and 1" (secret!) versions coming along with some other stuff... I found a place that does vector image printing, so they can do any size without the image degrading! Really happy, when they get here, if they look as good as what I hope, I can pass on the details to you if you like? If you are recovering your seat i highly recommend the guys I got the seat patch from, nice finishing touch, I will have left over vinyl too if you would like some...

Luke.

Cool man I'll let you know. Haven't gotten far enough to think of a seat yet. Just put a 2nd coat on the forks and a blue coat on one of the hoops. The colors are really gonna pop.
ysyqyqug.jpg
ryneruju.jpg

OMg yeah , this is going to be a tuff one to beat . thats alot of tapping up there to ..

Re: "GULF SWING" Cutting, Grinding, Welding at last!

Started work on the bike for real today!

First up was the main frame section, spent some time getting the angles exactly as per the original swingbikes and the top tube length to scale. (Original has a twenty inch rear tire measuring out at 490mm, my tire is 645mm or 131% of the original size, applied 131% to the top tube and made it correct, turned out exactly half of the lengths of tube I had curved, so plenty left for another!)

A little cutting and notching later:

10342027983_2e03dc3549_z.jpg

You can see on the board how much longer it is than my original mock-up! :shock:

A quick mock with wheels showed me that my 26x1.25 front just looked out of place now, so changed it to this: "Say hello to my little friend!"

10342035973_9d2ce60dd2_z.jpg

The 16" I found back at the start! Of course now I had another issue, do I extend the fork legs or extend the headtube? A quick mock up digitally showed me that an extended headtube just looked funny, and the long fork legs did not look right either, so came up with another solution. First welded some stem tube sized pipe into the top of the forks:

10341858976_3b684dd9c4_z.jpg

Then covered the whole lot with some mountain bike top tube and welded both the pipe and tube to the other fork top:

10341837955_d2f36f19e7_z.jpg

Much better looking, and will look even better with the little truss rods I have planned for them.

So of course, now it is time for another full mock-up to give an idea of how it will look when done:

10341837504_d1952199a8_z.jpg

Very happy with the progress today, glad I matched up the angles to the original bikes, should give it the best chance of working the way it is intended... Would have done more today but ran out of grinding discs and wanted to pick up the 6mm (1/4") rod for the truss rods while the shop was still open.

More soon...

Luke.

Latest posts

Back