"GULF SWING" Fat tire Swingbike build! As done as it is gunna be!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With about 10 days to go till the start of the second Muscle Bike build-off, I am starting to get my plans and pieces in order, here is the basic plan, things have changed a little since drawing this up, but not much:

9854770505_92bf3bb122.jpg

Found this repro 16" tractor tread style tire for the front:

9798051233_d51dab4b7b.jpg

Still a lot of things undecided on the build at this point, such as how I am going to make that curvy top tube? :? But I am sure it will sort itself as the build progresses. As with my other builds, I will start with the back wheel, get that made, so I have a sense of proportion for the rest of the bike. Rear tire will be a 195/50/16 on a custom 16x8 rim, a bit smaller diameter than what I have been doing, this one measures out to 23.5" as opposed to the last one which was a full 26" but I want this to be a smaller-more nimble bike.

I have been toying with the idea of building a wide coaster hub for the rear wheel, for the simplicity of looks and the lack of cables, but part of me still wants to add gears, I was really impressed by Glen's bike last time with it's full gear-set that made it an absolute rocket, so will probably end up making this a 6 speed derailleur set up with a disc brake. May even throw a front 3 speed chainring at it and go for 18 gears...

Looking forward to starting on October the 1st!

Luke.

Last edited:
Re: [Muscle Bike Build-Off] Dragstripper EXTREME!

That huge rear wheel might need a smaller sprocket up front. Something to consider, especially if you want to actually use those wheelie bars. I can't wait to see it!

8540899713_69a96eceea.jpg

This one I did last time was 42/16teeth with a MT90/16 motorbike tire on it, it measured out to 26" diameter, the gearing on that was spot on for me, but was a bit high for others who were shorter and weighed less, so will be heading for a similar ratio on this one, but with the slightly smaller diameter tire, or use a 6 speed cluster and give it the versatility it deserves! As for the wheelie bar, it will be set too low to balance on, it will be set more like a drag car one, and so really just for looks than anything else... :wink:

Can't wait to start building this thing!

Luke.

I should have known better than to start planning this build so far out, I keep changing my mind now and coming up with other ideas! :? I guess the problem is that my idea of the ultimate bike has changed a bit just lately, I built my 26"BMX from a mountain bike build, and have been having a ball riding it, light weight, narrow fast tires, single speed... ( viewtopic.php?f=21&t=76735 ) Pretty much the exact opposite of my Muscle Bike plan. So today i started throwing ideas around and mocking up parts on a Bratz frame...

9912286513_a6fb07eeaf.jpg

That would be a nice riding bike, but I am not sure I like how it looks...

Came up with some other ideas on the Dragstripper too while I was mucking around on windows paint:

Straight level top tube, more like the original Iverson Dragstripper:

9912112936_6a3494fcc9.jpg

Upward straight top tube:

9912190134_b4f0a4e9f6.jpg

Upward top tube 12 inch front:

9912325663_5c317837d2.jpg

Too many ideas in my head at the moment, hopefully I can decide on one by October 1st, one week from today!

Luke.

Re: [Muscle Bike Build-Off] "DragBike EXTREME"

Well, with the build-off already started, I can proudly say, I have not done anything! Hang on, "proudly" may not be the right word, better get out there and do something! :D

Been a couple of changes to my plan, as you can probably see, there has been a name change from "Dragstripper EXTREME", to "DragBike EXTREME", it will still be Iverson Dragstripper influenced, but not to the same extent, so figured a name change was in order...

I present to you the current build picture:

10032606633_36958c562c.jpg

A few challenges involved in this build: The dual springer rear suspension is all new to me, currently trying to figure out the pivot arrangment, the top bar shifter will be my first and I am also going to try build my own apehanger cross butterfly bars... :shock:

Luke.

Well, I did get some work done today... Not much, but my hope for the build-off is to have some progress/relevant picture to post everyday until the deadline or the bike is done!

Started out with a 16" front wheel of a girls bike, stripped of the (white with pink pinstripe) tire, and then set about removing the 36 little spoke bead/noise makers thingies, a very painful process! Interestingly I managed to remove 30 without breaking them but every dark blue one shattered as I tried to prise it off the spoke, must be something to do with differing uv ray absorption with each color or something??? :?:

Anyway, from there I started fitting up the new repop tractor tread front tire, a very tight fit, these little tires are so much harder to fit than the 26's I am used to! One tube split at the seam while fitting, it was secondhand, but got it all done with another tube and calling it my work done for the day!

10035747113_fa78aa59d4.jpg

Luke.

Aww man you should have kept the jingly beads. :lol: I'm debating on a 16" for the front of mine, but it's looking pretty weird in the mock-up stages. Looking forward to seeing more!!

Sort of a Moto-Bronco-Stripper!
GIT TO BUILDIN!

bigfatcat said:
Aww man you should have kept the jingly beads. :lol: I'm debating on a 16" for the front of mine, but it's looking pretty weird in the mock-up stages. Looking forward to seeing more!!
:lol: I know what you mean, I really wanted a 12" on the front of this one, but it just looked so wrong on the mock up!

No progress today, big grocery shopping day, but have found a possible vinyl for the seat etc, I was not real keen on the yellow idea, but this might look good:

10056657876_89a8c00fb4.jpg

Really got to start doing work on this thing, the other builders are leaving me behind!

Luke.

A few challenges involved in this build: The dual springer rear suspension is all new to me, currently trying to figure out the pivot arrangment,

Look at some pics of a Yamaha Motobike. They have tabs on the bottom bracket and a bolt going through them and the bottom frame so it swings like a swingarm. Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab92 ... a3c8f0.jpg

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab92 ... 15e0c5.jpg

Re: "DragBike EXTREME"

I have a plan for the pivot point, just working out the finer details...
I ended up buying that vinyl for the seat, guess I have my colors sorted now... :) Working on some stickers with a company I found on the net, should be something pretty special when it is done!

Of course in order for it to be done, I better start building it!

Luke.

The bigger challenge with a duel shock system is finding shocks that are compatible with the rider and the type of frame. Making them yourself eliminates the comprimises you would have to make. Moped designs might work, though i have not researched them much. Interesting design, will watch to see where it goes. :lol:

Rich

I'm gonna try to build a soft tail too... I think the pivot needs to be in front of the BB... I know some bikes don't, but unless you have a multi speed derailleur taking up the slack, when it bounces, there goes your chain. Of course a derailleur takes care of all that...

But I'm using that fat OCC rear end.... hoping I can get the whole drive train to be free to move as one piece...

Yeah, there are some issues to be solved with any softtail rear. I already have the shockys, I bought them ages ago for the Caddy build that turned into the FatBob build, which is now further evolving into a bike completely different from the original plans, but no longer requires these shockys...

I have two of these, they come off the rear of a small/midsize quadbike:

8207522729_c8de12bd82_z.jpg

For size reference, this is what one looked like on the front of the Caddy build:

8283871276_9299d50816_z.jpg

They are set up about the right strength for what I want to do, I can fine tune a fair bit with where they are placed compared to the pivot point when the time comes anyway...

Still fine tuning the design, but hope to start building soon, plenty to do even before I get to the frame anyway. Been rather cold still here and very windy so that has held me up a bit...
Hope to start on the rear wheel tomorrow.

Luke.

Tell me the Caddy build is gonna get a 120" stroker motor and not a crank with a couple of pedals. You'd need to be the Hulk, all green and angry, to propel that pup more than a couple of feet!

Cool look, though.

furyus

furyus said:
Tell me the Caddy build is gonna get a 120" stroker motor and not a crank with a couple of pedals. You'd need to be the Hulk, all green and angry, to propel that pup more than a couple of feet!

Cool look, though.

furyus
:lol: Nah, pedal power all the way! :wink: It is getting significantly lightened now though, it will not be anywhere near the weight "BigJim" ended up at, and it pedals ok!

Picked up this 24" mountain bike the other day for it's wheels, want them for another BMX build I want to do, but I also grab them for the 3 piece bottom brackets, as these are the style I use for widening.

10081163633_f5960025e9_z.jpg

Had a closer look at it today, and noticed something interesting, there is a tank shaped tube in there under all that extra bar work.
Here it is removed:

10081026594_1a1076f384_z.jpg

Reminds me of the Felt tank frame cruiser bikes like these ones:

10081253953_7f8b0fb9f9_z.jpg

10081118474_e543c48db2_z.jpg

I could even accentuate it more like they did with the tank plates on the deep 6:

10081192326_95ac8cfc70_z.jpg

So, finding that has changed my whole plan again! It will no longer be a drag bike, but more like a sixties racecar inspired build. So out with the fat and flat treaded car tire on the rear and in with the Metzler 140/90/16MT that was originally on the front of the Caddy build... Probably will not be softtail anymore either, going to try to sleek it down and smooth it out a bit! The 16" inch front may not work with the new plan either, but with the Metzler rear measuring out to 26" tall my options are wide open...

Some more design work to be done... :wink:

Luke.

Re: The bike formerly known as "DragBike EXTREME"

This is gonna be AWESOME. I'm looking at cheapo bikes in a whole new light now! :shock: :lol:

Latest posts

Back