"GULF SWING" Fat tire Swingbike build! As done as it is gunna be!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "GULF SWING" Cutting, Grinding, Welding at last!

Yeeeeeesssssss! That fork looks spot on! The proportions of the tires couldn't look any better! :shock: :shock:

Pushie Pirate said:
Lovin this, those curved twin top tubes look great!
Just copying the original, but I do love the way it is coming out!

Luke.

Cool bike Luke. Looks like you'll have a roller before you know it. Love the theme. Do you know anyone with old Gulf stuff? Would be a great photo opportunity!

HuffDaddy said:
Cool bike Luke. Looks like you'll have a roller before you know it. Love the theme. Do you know anyone with old Gulf stuff? Would be a great photo opportunity!
I wish I did! I am not sure that Gulf ever came to Australia, maybe they did, but well before my time...

Luke.

Sure luke , make me look like i took the easy way out .. lol Excellent fabrication work there sir .

c1run1 said:
Sure luke , make me look like i took the easy way out .. lol Excellent fabrication work there sir .
:lol: Ah! But nothing beats an original c1run1! :lol:

More progress today, welded up the main frame:

10355873754_a3ee3539db_z.jpg

I gotta say, this thing has some beautiful lines on it, really nice! I can definitely see me building more of these in the future!

Of course, it is time for another mock-up! :D

10355881776_8f7efc810e_z.jpg

Loving it!

Just stopped for a slightly late lunch, then I will head out and finish off the fork trusses and set up the wheel jig.

Luke.

Went back out from lunch to find my welding helmet had run out of batteries, happens about once every 3-5 years... Finished off the fork trusses using a cheap hand held mask:

10357758155_d4fe79c685_z.jpg

Then moved on to setting up the jig, looks like it will be fine with the 16" wheel, actually sits exactly where I want it! This pic shows the line for the center of the wheel, so the spokes will weld half over the line, the exact amount that is showing!

10357773306_a459e7f917_z.jpg

Very happy with progress at that point, finished up for the day and went and got new batteries for the helmet so ready to go again next time!

In case anyone is wondering why I use a battery assist helmet instead of a full solar, this is the helmet I bought about 10 years ago, a trade specified Speedglas, $300 at the time, I could justify it then because I was working and welding/fabrication is what I do. I did a huge amount of research before buying the helmet, and found out that the switching time (light to dark) of a solar helmet is 2-5 times longer than the battery assist helmet, not enough to be a problem for the home handyman but if you are welding all day, everyday, your eye health is much better with the battery helmet...

It is also a link back to those days before my health went south and I had to stop working, so I guess there is an emotional attachment there too...

Luke.

Re: "GULF SWING" Forks and main frame done!

Another rough paint.net mock-up:

10361865993_7dde70a2d0_z.jpg

Just realised I forgot to add the bottom bracket support tube! Ah well, you get the idea...
Pretty sure I got the sizing of the seat and bars about right, shows just how big this bike will be! :shock:

I will add the pic of the finished fork truss rods here for the new page:

10357758155_d4fe79c685_z.jpg

Luke.

It's really coming alone. It looks great so far can't wait to see you ride it.

:D Very happy to see you went with new tubing for the upper frame. You will have a mich nicer bike in the end. Looks great so far. That upper frame is just right for that back wheel. Can't wait to see it finished.

Biggdaddy said:
It's really coming alone. It looks great so far can't wait to see you ride it.
You sure you don't mean see me fall off it and hurt myself? :lol:

bikebuilder said:
:D Very happy to see you went with new tubing for the upper frame. You will have a mich nicer bike in the end. Looks great so far. That upper frame is just right for that back wheel. Can't wait to see it finished.
Have to agree, it has raised the bike another level, looks much nicer! I have some gardening to do, mainly lawncare in the coming days so don't know how much will get done, but I really want to ride it, so I might find some time... :wink:

Luke.

Luke, you do everything in a big way 8)
I can't wait for the riding video!

Rich

Stickers and grips arrived!

10395976846_4df6d3da80_z.jpg

The colors are actually even closer than they look in the pics, pretty much perfect! Really happy, and far better than I expected! :D

10395945945_ed9a1c863e_z.jpg

These last stickers are some I got special order, two of these will be added to the prize pot for the build-off, just to give everyone that little bit more incentive!

10396114863_2d07d4a8d5_z.jpg

I ordered 20 of them, was going to list them for sale on the site but figure they will work better as build-off prizes! :wink:

Luke.

This build is just wild. The Gulf theme just tops off an already sick looking frame. Nice

Latest posts

Back