"GULF SWING" Fat tire Swingbike build! As done as it is gunna be!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "GULF SWING" Forks and main frame done!

Thanx for the how to do:
We have a few 16" motorcycles tyres here but mostly 17'...So your hub build has given me ideas
on building a motorcycle 17" rim for a bike... :D

Your dragster is coming along,something tells me we are both going for the same color. :D

I have got some really nice 17" tires here, but having trouble finding the steel wheels to work with them, they are on a few newer cars as spares, but nearly everything is alloy these days...

Luke.

Just found out that the video that inspired the swingbike for me was made by BikeBuilder! He is also in this same build-off and also doing a swingbike, how cool is that! :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=77849

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
I have got some really nice 17" tires here, but having trouble finding the steel wheels to work with them, they are on a few newer cars as spares, but nearly everything is alloy these days...

Luke.
Oh we have those spare rims here,they just get thrown out... :D

Funkme said:
Oh we have those spare rims here,they just get thrown out... :D
Snap them up Funk! Plenty of tire sizes available to fit 17's and most bike shops will happily give the old ones away as it stops them having to pay to dump them!

Sorry for the lack of progress on the build everybody, health is not the best at the moment and it has been raining a bit too, cant weld in the rain!

Luke.

Luke, you feelin' better yet? I miss seeing what's up with your bike.

Setting the backspacing on the jig (81mm):

10528113666_9e524fa885_z.jpg

Locked in place, love the lock-nut set up, nice knowing it is not going to move on me!:

10528090755_0286594566_z.jpg

Hub tube and spokes cut, (162mm tube length, and 161mm spoke length) set up and ready to weld:

10528107596_e0c0a7bfcc_z.jpg

Tacked in place, ready for full welding, very happy with how it came out, this is the first 8 spoke 16" I have done, it looks much nicer than the four spoke version:

10528319643_1595c255e9_z.jpg

Mock up time!

10528078075_2940e903d0_z.jpg

Don't worry, the Bratz stuff is not staying! :lol: Just stopped for lunch, hoping to get the axle extended and the bearing cups tacked in place before the day is out.

Luke.

Re: "GULF SWING" BACK WHEEL DONE!

Done for the day!

Donor hub:

10530101483_89e19031b2_z.jpg

Split axle and extension piece ready for welding:

10529907964_e42531a573_z.jpg

Extended axle and split housing welded up to stop the cones moving, ready for inserting into the wheel:

10530095063_24b2e77712_z.jpg

Hub in, but not welded, will tack it then spin it to check for true when I have the rear triangle made up:

10529900144_58b28d0990_z.jpg

Happy with progress today, it is so much quicker building these wheels with the jig, the first wheel I did for the previous muscle bike build-off took a full day for the hub and another full day for the wheel, and it was only a 4 spoke and did not look as good as this done in two hours...

10531289216_05bd33a5ba_z.jpg

Luke.

Luke, do you think the square ends on a modern BB set could be turned/tapped down to a common axle size?
Then, if your center wheel tube was a common BB I.D... I don't have the skills to try it,
but I think that would open up the possibilities for some nice/heavy bearing sets...
Anyway, nice work. Carl

GuitarlCarl said:
Luke, do you think the square ends on a modern BB set could be turned/tapped down to a common axle size?
Then, if your center wheel tube was a common BB I.D... I don't have the skills to try it,
but I think that would open up the possibilities for some nice/heavy bearing sets...
Anyway, nice work. Carl
It could be done, but it would be a lot of work, plus it would still need extending to fit tires this wide.
I understand the wanting bigger/stronger bearings but they seem to work just fine, with the wider spacing between the bearings it actually lessens the side to side loads applied to them, and up and down loads are actually no higher than a standard bike... In the future I may look into making my own sealed bearing hubs, it will depend on how good I can get my little lathe to perform and how motivated I get... :wink:

Luke.

That is awesome! I have no doubt that if left alone with a welder in a junkyard you'd put MacGyver to shame. :mrgreen:

Ever thought of entering the "Junkyard Wars" competition?

outskirtscustoms said:
That is awesome! I have no doubt that if left alone with a welder in a junkyard you'd put MacGyver to shame. :mrgreen:
I cant pull off the hair style though! :lol:

outskirtscustoms said:
Ever thought of entering the "Junkyard Wars" competition?
Do they still run them over there? Watched a few episodes on tv...

Luke.

Amazing work as usual sir! I'm digging the spoke count on this one as well!! :shock: :D

LukeTheJoker said:
Done for the day!

Donor hub:

10530101483_89e19031b2_z.jpg

Split axle and extension piece ready for welding:

10529907964_e42531a573_z.jpg

Extended axle and split housing welded up to stop the cones moving, ready for inserting into the wheel:

10530095063_24b2e77712_z.jpg

Hub in, but not welded, will tack it then spin it to check for true when I have the rear triangle made up:

10529900144_58b28d0990_z.jpg

Happy with progress today, it is so much quicker building these wheels with the jig, the first wheel I did for the previous muscle bike build-off took a full day for the hub and another full day for the wheel, and it was only a 4 spoke and did not look as good as this done in two hours...

10531289216_05bd33a5ba_z.jpg

Luke.

Very, VERY cool. Love that side profile pic. Awesome work Luke.

Thanks Chepe13!

Pretty worn out today, plus gusty winds outside so will not be doing any welding today... :( Trying to work out the rear triangle, think I have it mostly sorted, just need a favorable day to do it. Should be pretty easy after that! :)

Luke.

Latest posts

Back