Have to disqualify myself

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
15180632229151944514668.jpg
I had two back surgeries last fall, the last one a double lumbar fusion. I have been stationary upright biking for about a month now. My current bike project is an all carbon rigid 26+ mountain bike. Carbon, titanium and alloy mostly. I'm shooting for light with a low gear of 13 gear inch. Hopefully I'll be able to get back on the trails with this rig. I'll never be able to ride the stuff I was last summer, but heck I'm 72 and still active. So far since October I have hiked over 300 miles. The bike is not a rat so I won't be joining the wbo this year but I will be watching. I am buying a few parts a month when my SS check comes in. I just returned my frame for a replacement because they sent me the wrong one. I have about half of what I need. The photo is of my parts pile.

Last edited:

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Reaction score
Get well man, know how it is I’m 72 also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
You can still rat it,and be in.:happy:
I guess I could give it a rat name? It's all flat black, I could call it "Matt the Maggot ". I still don't think it fits with the rat theme. I plan on cutting up the carbon frame and modifying it to fit the cassette and tires. Only a real rat mechanic has the guts to cut up a new carbon frame. You only live once so go for it I say.

Reaction score
I guess I could give it a rat name? It's all flat black, I could call it "Matt the Maggot ". I still don't think it fits with the rat theme. I plan on cutting up the carbon frame and modifying it to fit the cassette and tires. Only a real rat mechanic has the guts to cut up a new carbon frame. You only live once so go for it I say.
Is that not the point of ratting... Cutting/shaping and miing n matching parts from other bikes,bits n bobs.;)

Reaction score
Wait... what?!?!
Cut up a new carbon fiber frame?? *gasp*
*eye twitch*
It's all good and I can't wait to see how you rat it out and what you come up with.

Reaction score
Wait... what?!?!
Cut up a new carbon fiber frame?? *gasp*j
*eye twitch*i
It's all good and I can't wait to see how you rat it out and what you come up with.
Me too. Along way, $ and time to go before I have all the parts. Might take longer than the build off to get them. I buy a few or one each month, depending on cost.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I might not have to cut up the frame. My cheap three inch tire fits. Lots of room in the fork. Next step is to see if a 42 tooth cassette will fit the frame. I'll buy a 26 x 3 inch Ranger and see if it fits, if it doesn't then the 3 inch will go on front and a 2.8 on the rear. Three will probably fit though. I think a shorter stem with a big rise will be better for my fused spine. Temporary partial mock up.
1520721754588-25774751.jpg
1520721754588-25774751.jpg

Reaction score
1520953305611246927924.jpg
The 42 tooth sprocket fits. The 3 inch tire is on the way. I moved into the bush in August. Two miles on a rough dirt track to the mail box and 120 miles to the nearest LBS. I have to take the frame and fork in for facing. I also need them to torque my cassette as I have no way to fit any of my torque wrenches to the spline on the cassette, its finger tight now. I also want them to check my conversation of my hubs to through axle. I don't have a lot of explerience with this new fangled stuff and will proceed cautiously. We have a blizzard going on. Picture is right now out our front door. No neighbors for the winter, they have all fled to Florida.

Last edited:

Latest posts