Headed to Memphis then to Highway 61

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Later this week Im headed to Memphis to see my 35 year old stepson who I havent seen in a couple of years. He asked me what I wanted to do while there. I told him NO ELVIS stuff, just some good BBQ and maybe some Blues Clubs on Beale St.This weekend I do want to drive about a hour south and go to Clarksdale Miss. Basically the birthplace of Delta Blues. While there I will go to the famed Crossroads of Highway 61 and 49.This is where the story goes that Robert Johnson in the 1930s sold his soul to the Devil in exchange to play guitar.Just to be on the safe side I will have a cross in my pocket :wink:
I knew several bands had played the song Crossroads but I googled it and came up with this impressive list.
Although they left out better known versions by Johnny Winter and Bob Dylan
Other artists who have covered the song range from:

The Doors during their 1970 Live in Detroit Concert/CD
Cowboy Junkies
Derek & The Dominos
Dion on Bronx in Blue 2006
Free (live)
Elmore James
The Hamsters (live)[6][7]
Ibex (live)
Lynyrd Skynyrd (live)
Jimi Hendrix (live)
Journey
Rush
Ten Years After
The Allman Joys
Van Halen (live)
Robin Trower (on Another Days Blues)
Steve Miller Band (live)
Molly Hatchet (live)
Mountain (live)
Smak (live)
Stephen Stills (Indiana University's Assembly Hall, Indiana, USA - 19 October 1972)
Jeff Berlin on Pump It 1986
Page and Plant (live)
John Mayer (On upcoming album Battle Studies/live)
Stoney Larue (live)
Son Of Dave
Racer X (live)

silky o'sullivans is fun at night (2 blocks east of BB Kings) but they dont really have blues bands, its an irish piano bar. rendevouz has some really good ribs too a couple blocks from beale st. but theres some better places if your willing to drive a bit. BB Kings is about the best on Beale St for music in my opinion.

If your going to the crossroads, definately go to Ground Zero blues club for the music :D

sounds fun! i really dig prewar blues. didn't somebody here buy a terraplane a while back? 8)

btw, i'd recommend all bues fans read a book called 'the land where the blues began'. hard to imagine such a brutal time and place, really makes you wonder how a certain 21st century british millionaire thought his version could be anything more than a hollow, meaningless chord exercise.......

robert_johnson-thumb-265x3601.jpg

Latest posts

Back