Headset reducer?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anybody have experience/advice/recommendations on using a headset adapter to install a 1" steer tube fork in a frame with a 1 1/8 head tube?

The backstory if you're interested:
So I've been wanting to build a 24" BMX-ish/strandie-ish cruiser for some time now. I originally wanted to start with a Schwinn frame, ideally a 24" Speedster, which does not have cantilever bars, but recently opened the search to include 24" Typhoon-type frames. (Easy way to visualize this: picture a Fastback frame vs. a StingRay frame.) The last couple of 24" Speedster frames I saw on Fleabay went way higher than I was willing to bid... one last week finished around $150 for frame/fork plus around $50 for shipping.

Then recently I noticed this on Fleabay for $100 shipped:
sunframefleabay.jpg

The seller appears to part out new bikes, and that's what this frame seemed to be. I decided maybe I'd build my cruiser on a frame like this and enjoy it till a suitable Schwinn frame came along. So I pulled the trigger on the auction and it arrived today:
20220303_175359.jpg

I'm pretty happy, it seems like it'll suit my needs just fine. Here's the thing, though: it has a 1 1/8 head tube and I want to build it up with old school BMX stuff I have around, including forks with a 1" steer tube. (Man, I'm digging the way this looks already.)
20220303_180505.jpg

I have found a few headset reducers online already in the few minutes I've been looking, most notably the one from Problem Solvers. Looks like I can get one for around 25 bucks. I guess my low-budget build can go $25 higher, but before I jump in, is there any reason not to use this brand in particular or a headset reducer in general? Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks!

The proble solver ones are easy and have been around a long time. I would stick with them.

Looked into this situation for GT Dyno Kustom Kruisers, and found one on paper by Neco Taiwan; Neco H833K (chrome).
https://www.necoparts.com/en/product/External-Cup-Threaded-Headsets/H833K.html
But no idea who might distribute them in the U.S., so I ended up using adapters instead; and a 1” x 30mm road bike headset, because adapters were 34x30.

Also, after years of searching, found another brand NOS on eBay, with numbers inked in pen as to the dimensions; but the problem is that most 1” headset sellers don’t state all of the defining dimensions.

Last edited:
The ISO standard names for external cup (EC) headsets:
EC30 is for common (euro) 1" headset, cup fitting diameter is 30mm
EC33 is for USA 1", vintage cruisers and bmx, some Dyno cruisers and your bike, cup fitting diameter is 32,5mm
EC34 is for 1-1/8", all those modern bikes, cup fitting diameter is 34mm

That could help you to navigate through headsets, if name mentions EC33 or 32,5mm this is the one for you.
As you can see, 1-1/8" EC34 fitting is quite close, so a common thing to do if the regular headset is not available is to buy any 1-1/8" headset or an 1-1/8" to 1" adapter headset and take down just a 1,5mm off the cup with a lathe.

For general discussion, I have gone the other way, 32.5 to 34 using my headset reamer/facer. There was so much meat in the gas pipe head tube that there was still plenty remaining. One time I put the one inch headset in the 1 1/8, tightened the headset down so it was tight and nothing turned and tacked the cups to the head tube. Let the next guy get mad when he tries to fix it right. This was for a previously abused maggot with bent pedals and crust everywhere. Not that I would recommend this. I only use this bike a few times.

I was trying the same conversion. 1" threaded into 1 1/8" frame and had both cups in my hand. Noticed they almost nested inside each other.

Popped them in the vice and the 1" cup pressed into the 1 1/8" cup
Assembled the bike with double cups, rode it a while, no issues, and sold it,

Can't guarantee this will always work but it worked once for me.

I was trying the same conversion. 1" threaded into 1 1/8" frame and had both cups in my hand. Noticed they almost nested inside each other.

Popped them in the vice and the 1" cup pressed into the 1 1/8" cup
Assembled the bike with double cups, rode it a while, no issues, and sold it,

Can't guarantee this will always work but it worked once for me.
Have done this as well but just for a flip bike. Nothing special

Have done this as well but just for a flip bike. Nothing special
Yep. Easy solution, it works without any special stuff or having to wait on an order. I was holding both parts in one hand and the cartoon light bulb appeared above my head - hey these might fit together.

Latest posts

Back