Hellion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel the same way. Trying to piece items together with similar patina is tough. I may spray the stick shift plastic cover an almond or off white. I may have to work at that one. Maybe mix a custom paint from my Testors paint collection. I love the patina of old ivory tuning knobs. 🎸
@Reallybigtim is the KING of piecing together patina parts from different bikes…..

It's interesting how the chrome on that chainring is so obviously better than the chrome on the crank arms.
The crank arms are from a 70’s Huffy and they are a bit crude in terms of finish. Who, when and where things get chromed results in lots of variations. If I come across an older Schwinn crank I may swap it out. Works for now though.

i picked up this 1959 Schwinn at my first Denver swap meet. This is when I met Don, who I purchased the frame from for ten bucks. It is pretty rough with quite a bit of putting, but someone decided to paint it a satin black with some amateur but nice pin striping. I need to source a lot of parts to get a roller but I’m excited to do so. I also scored a set of rough 1969 ape hangers for 20 bucks. The frame was cheap son I said why not. The old fat Schwinn grips have moved me toward a build that looks to be old and not recent. I found a rough Shimano 333 3 speed that had a similar patina to the grips, as I plan to build another 3 speed. The mudflap was another eBay find that fit the color and patina. The black banana seat with rough sissy bar just came in the mail from eBay as well. The sissy bar has rust and strange welds. Perfect fit I think. Also, some brake items will be donated from my previous build’s donor bike. This will be another 26” 3 speed, which are becoming part of my “style”. Maybe a 24” front wheel since I have one that needs to be used. Also my cruiser will be donating a pair of whitewall tires that have a familiar patina that I’m aiming for. I found some One Shot that I had laying around and I think it’s a match to what is already on the bike. Photo heavy!
The Devil
This puppet will most likely donate its head to be the shifter. And it’s the inspiration for the Hellion build name. View attachment 192060View attachment 192061View attachment 192062View attachment 192063View attachment 192064View attachment 192065View attachment 192066View attachment 192067View attachment 192068View attachment 192069View attachment 192070View attachment 192071View attachment 192072View attachment 192073
I have a couple of these frames that are half built up.. I should do something with them... LOVE the home made pin stripes.. Would love to do this with mine... Good luck Shrunken... RaToN.... Razin...

I have a couple of these frames that are half built up.. I should do something with them... LOVE the home made pin stripes.. Would love to do this with mine... Good luck Shrunken... RaToN.... Razin...
You should get at least one of them built if you can! Time and money and other projects can be an issue. The stripes are cool. I’m hoping to make some that match on the springer fork arms and a headlight. I have about as much experience as the person who laid the original stripes. I think I can make ‘‘em match.

Picked up a 3 speed hub from the bay and it just arrived. I really like the Shimano equipment. And the click click click sound is always pleasing. Bits and pieces. This will probably be my most rattiest build and most expensive.
406AA2C0-2AC2-4EF0-9DA4-4C64D782F79D.jpeg

Picked up a couple amazing bicycle accessories. So stoked to have these. It is really hard to find much information on these propellers, other than info on the reproduction version. One mounts on the head tube and the other on the handlebars. I’ve seen these to be referred to as “Lindbergh propellers”. View attachment 195478View attachment 195479View attachment 195480View attachment 195481
I picked up a shur spin a few years ago. I' still looking for the perfect spot for it. Would love to have an original.
20220603_155450.jpg

I picked up a shur spin a few years ago. I' still looking for the perfect spot for it. Would love to have an original.View attachment 195572
Those are so awesome. Glad someone reproduced them. I have no clue how old mine are. I did recently see one sell at auction for around $250. And the reproduction version is pretty pricey as well. I put a bid in for the pair for $140 and thought I would easily get outbid. I only paid $40 including shipping. I think right on the handlebars would be cool. Or, cut a bit of handlebar and mount it elsewhere on the bike. Thanks for sharing your prop!

I have a bunch of Schwinn one-piece crank arms with good chrome from the 60's-70's, including the diamond-shaped ones they put on the Varsity. Hit me up with a PM if you are interested.
Hey! Thank you for the offer! I’ll definitely keep you in mind. We still have a lot of time. There is another swap meet this summer that I may try to pick up my final bits and pieces at. I think a good match is a smart idea. And I just bought a bunch of cranks for a nice price, so I’ll need to make up a couple for other builds. I even picked up my first skip tooth which I’m excited about. Paid $40 for all including shipping.
117D7C71-5BD6-49EB-A2A8-D7B8189C04A6.jpeg
Most will clean up very nice. Lots of garage grime.

Picked up a couple amazing bicycle accessories. So stoked to have these. It is really hard to find much information on these propellers, other than info on the reproduction version. One mounts on the head tube and the other on the handlebars. I’ve seen these to be referred to as “Lindbergh propellers”. View attachment 195478View attachment 195479View attachment 195480View attachment 195481
Did some digging and the radial engine propeller is called and AMMCO Whirl Plane. Love the interwebs.

Started to work out an outline for a tank. Traced out the area on to some heavy card stock. Here is my fine assistant Maxwell, aka Mad Max among other alias’s. He’s helping me place the template in proper position. We may need to make another to refine some areas. Then, the template will be transferred to some plywood for the buck.
6A8F2BC3-9A4A-4E27-80AA-AFAC7256A190.jpeg
B62C03A6-B436-402D-8A5C-50906694F947.jpeg
00E5C1C3-5C6A-4A2E-AB4D-8C029904DC71.jpeg
1A1F0385-488A-445A-B9D4-FD8209F1D96D.jpeg
E6A158B8-196A-47D3-87E0-88F2187B7825.jpeg

This is looking sweet! Dig the striping.
Really looking forward to the sculpted tank!
Amazing deal on those propellers!!!

Latest posts

Back