Hello from Miami!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Guys and Gals,

I’ve been reading the forums for a while but did not want to post until I “oficially” had a ratty project. I ‘ve been living in Miami for more than 3 years but it wasn’t until recently I got the bug to build something different and dicovered this wonderful forum. Bikes like Rosemary, Hellbilly, Devilwing, Massey boardtracker, Copperhead, Madd Hammer, Back alley bomber, Flying Merkel, etc. have been my inspiration for weeks. I must say that all of you are really some very talented and creative individuals! :eek:

About me, well I did some custom car designing and building with a 2 seater prototype that I managed to complete, race, display in shows and license for the street about 10 years ago, I did about 97% of the work myself. I also restored a ‘65 Mustang and a ‘78 Z28, I had several motorcycles from enduro to dual purpose and sport bikes, I actually spent like 4 years of my life with a motorcycle only. (The pic is not in Miami as you can tell LOL)

scan0007.jpg

No more sport bikes after I got a wife so I’m a Chevy guy and I’m on my 3rd. Camaro now a low miles ‘96 Z28 that doubles as daily driver and bike transporter. I started with a cheapie mountain bike about a year and a half ago but it wasn’t holding up well so I switched to an ‘08 Giant Trance2 but then ran out of places to ride nearby so the MTB is for the weekend and I got a '09 Giant Defy2 road bike to train during the week. I was riding 100 miles weekly until my wife applied the brake and said “too much time on bikes and too little time with the baby” (we have a 9 month old baby girl); so I cut back and I’m riding like 75 miles a week now, weather permitting it is horrible here in FL in the summer, it’s humid and rainy almost every day :x ; anyway I’ve put more than 1,400 miles on the bike in 5 months.

TD1.jpg

I’ve always liked Hot rods and american cars (got some Hot Rod magazines from my dad that date back to ‘59), rat rods and anything with wheels that has a unique character and is fun. After months of searching I finally got a Western Flyer repop that I’ll modify into a boardtracker style bike, it’s super hard to get any vintage bikes around here, only cheapie wallyworld cruisers so this 80’s bike will have to do for now. I test rode it 4 days ago and then I completely disassembled it, my new white tires are already on their way here! :D

I hope I can do it quickly since I’m planning to relocate to Phoenix AZ in about 2 months (got to tear down the bikes to pack them anyway, right?). It will be a logistic nightmare since I still don’t have a job lined up there just a couple contacts; I have to find a place to live, get a car for my wife, etc. but I hope everything will be OK. We were on vacation in AZ in ‘08 and we loved it, everyone was friendly and kind unlike FL, and the place is just amazing! I can’t wait to ride my MTB there!

Sorry for the long post, promise to keep them shorter from now on, keep on building and riding!

Welcome! :) If you can design and build a car like that, I can't wait to se what your bike will look like! Have fun, and I hope your move to AZ will go smoothly! :)

WELCOME!.Maybe someday you can create a bike to honor your car! Looking forward to seeing what you build.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I've been doing the buildup in every little spare moment I have, maybe I'll still finish before the RRBB deadline! I've been fighting the humidity, sun and heat out there in the balcony that is my own little space, I'm lacking power tools but I'm making progress!

This is what I started with, for this pics I already removed the rack and cleaned the rust off the wheels:

S6004652.jpg

S6004654.jpg

I already have ideas for my next buildup but I'll have to do that one after I'm setted somewhere else or my wife will kill me!

Latest posts

Back