Hello from Northern Michigan

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7-10-2015: First -- Links to my Builds:

Vista Cruiser -- my first cruiser build
Schwinn Stingray L'il Chik -- my oldest daughter's bike
Late 1980's Cannondale MTB -- aka, my first bike project
Firestone 500 Speed Cruiser -- project for my wife
OCC Army Stingray -- Build-Off #8 bike, and chopper for my son
Middle Child -- Build-Off #10 bike, for my oldest girl.

---------------------------------------------------------------- original intro post ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I'm Nick. I'm a professional computer nerd who found out a few years ago that he likes tinkering with bicycles. Actually, when I was a teenager I built a sidecar for my BMX bike out of 2x4's and a 26" bicycle wheel -- it carried a human once. More recently, I fixed up my old (ooold) Cannondale MTB so I could start riding again and kinda reset the hook.

I have a couple of projects I'm working on -- real back-burner stuff, since I have four kids, a full-time job, and I'm in graduate school.

First, I bought an old Vista Workhorse at a yard sale for $3...it's currently (late 2009) sitting in pieces in a Huggies box, but I'd like it to end up as a decent beach cruiser...I call it my "Vista Cruiser" project. :roll:

Next, my dad's wife gave me her daughter's old, purple Schwinn Stingray L'il Chik bike, and I cleaned it up, put on new tires and chain, and gave it to my oldest daughter for her 7th birthday this year. Now she's the envy of the neighborhood.

So...I'm not into chopping and welding bikes -- not that I'm against it, I just don't know how and don't have the equipment. Some of the bikes on this site are really cool. I'm pretty much just a "clean up and replace parts" guy, I guess.

Anyway...hi!

Last edited:
battle creek here..... welcome

we have a yearly family get together around your parts. gaylord... i might skip the fun and go to TC to ride this year

noodlenoggin said:
Hey,Schwinnmesa...where in the UP? My in-laws have a cabin in the Nat'l forest by Whitefish Bay, a bit south of Paradise.

So...how many Michiganders ARE there around here?

Nice... I've been to White Fish Point before a couple years back, not sure if it's around there but it sounds like it, haha. I'm all over the U.P. Right now I'm typing on a laptop in a motel in Munising. I left this morning from Sault St. Marie. I have some nice pictures, I got this huge Schwinn banner at a closing Wal-Mart on the border of America and Canada, will show pictures when I get back home! :mrgreen:

There are a bunch of Michiganders here. I couldn't name them all and don't know where to start. :wink:

That banner sounds awesome.

Their cabin is on the south side of the bay, off the I.P. Freely (or whatever it is :) ) highway, probably 20 miles on the south side of Paradise. It's neat...my FIL's dad bought the land and built the cabin around 1944 or so. I think I have a photo of it in my Flickr account... hold on... (time passes)... yeah, here it is:

That's from 2006, with my MIL cooking bacon in the foreground, and my wife in the background, 6 months or so pregnant with our twins. Good times :D

Hey, U.C.W.T... you know Traverse City has a dedicated bike trail (The TART) that runs all the way through town...from Acme on the east, along the railroad, next to the airport, through town, along West bay, and out the west end of town, and actually extends up the Leelanau Peninsula all the way to Suttons Bay, although once you hit Leelanau County it stops being paved. Perfect cruising!

For others, it’s a route that leads deep into the “real Traverse City” – whose gentle rhythms and unspoiled charms are best experienced when you take the time and trouble to seek them out
sold!!!!! a trip through town would be awesome
i have to shoot you a pm when we are heading up there.

Hey welcome from near the wrist :lol: Gotta love michigan :) Cool green bike.

I ride by that area every year. also do a fall ride up there Iceman Mt. bike race. Last year there was a bunch of old bikes for sale by the road, one had a side hack on it.
side1.jpg

side4.jpg

side3.jpg

the hack had a busted pedal
I talked to a girl that worked at crystal mt. and told me to bring some of my freakbikes to Traverse City for a Pub crawl ?? you know anything about this? Welcome Michigan biker..

Hello from Tampa Bay

Well, I havent been around here for a while, and a lot of changes have taken place. I finished graduate school, got a new job and moved from Michigan to Florida a year ago. Been busy busy busy. I still have the Vista Cruiser in a box and still plan to finish it.

Latest posts

Back