Hello from NY/Ct Border

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
My name is Joe and I am 66 yrs old and located north of NYC. I hadn't ridden a bicycle since college but when I received a 37 pound Raleigh road bike for my 50th birthday I started again. I am not as dedicated as I was in my mid 50's logging between 3000-5000 miles each year but I still love getting out there as much as I can. I would like to say that I am retired having dedicated 30 years to a major computer company and another 6 to one of the largest cable companies in the US but.... I needed something to do in retirement (and get me out of the house) so I opened a used bike shop in Greenwich Ct. I mostly ride non-retro bikes like my Litespeed C1 with Reynolds carbon wheels or a 2009 Blue RC8 with Dura-Ace components that I just purchased, but I do like my Trek 1200 that is permanently on my trainer and my Trek 1000 that is really smooth and fast. I also have few older road bikes but haven't had a chance to get to know them yet. I recently connected a 1000 watt (48 volt) electric 20 inch front wheel to a full suspension Schwinn mountain bike. It took a bit of engineering to get the extra wide front wheel mounted but it is so much fun to ride it was worth the effort. If you visit the NYC metro area stop by my shop or reach out to me and I'll show you the best rides in the area.
SchwinnElectric.jpg

Joe D

Hi Joe,
I'm close to the CT border north of Greenwich by the Empire State Trail NY. Ride it often.
By chance do you ride the weekly Bicycle Sundays in Westchester across from you in White Plains NY by the Westchester County Center? Do you participate in the Td Five Boro Bike Tour in NYC?

Interesting bike, haven't seen another like it:cool2:

Welcome. Love that 1000w Schwinn. The fun police downunder would lock you up if they caught you riding that monster here.

Hi Joe,
I'm close to the CT border north of Greenwich by the Empire State Trail NY. Ride it often.
By chance do you ride the weekly Bicycle Sundays in Westchester across from you in White Plains NY by the Westchester County Center? Do you participate in the Td Five Boro Bike Tour in NYC?

Interesting bike, haven't seen another like it:cool2:
Hello Hamppea!,
I ride the weekly Bicycle Sundays religiously and liked the extension through the entire summer during covid. Is the Empire Trail the North/South County Trailways? I like to ride the South County Trailway from the start in Elmsford south to Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx where it ends. From there you can take Broadway across the 225th Street bridge into Manhattan. There is an entrance to the West Side bike path at Dyckman Street. I either take the path all the way to Battery Park or cut across the George Washington Bridge. If I take the bridge I take 9W north in New Jersey and come back to Elmsford via the Tappan Zee (Cuomo) Bridge using the new bike path.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the bike, it has no issue doing 25mph up the steepest hills and can cruise close to 30 on the flats. The original battery I ordered never came from China but this one is good and I can do about 22 miles on a charge.

Joe D.

Welcome. Love that 1000w Schwinn. The fun police downunder would lock you up if they caught you riding that monster here.
Thanks J for the welcome and the thumbs up!

The bike has no issue doing 25mph up the steepest hills and can cruise close to 30 on the flats. The original battery I ordered never came from China but this one is good and I can do about 22 miles on a charge.

Are you in Australia? I am told there is no restriction to speed/power in the US if you build the bike yourself. Not sure that is true but so far I haven't had an issue passing cars in full view of the men in blue!

Joe D

Hello Hamppea!,
I ride the weekly Bicycle Sundays religiously and liked the extension through the entire summer during covid. Is the Empire Trail the North/South County Trailways? I like to ride the South County Trailway from the start in Elmsford south to Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx where it ends. From there you can take Broadway across the 225th Street bridge into Manhattan. There is an entrance to the West Side bike path at Dyckman Street. I either take the path all the way to Battery Park or cut across the George Washington Bridge. If I take the bridge I take 9W north in New Jersey and come back to Elmsford via the Tappan Zee (Cuomo) Bridge using the new bike path.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the bike, it has no issue doing 25mph up the steepest hills and can cruise close to 30 on the flats. The original battery I ordered never came from China but this one is good and I can do about 22 miles on a charge.

Joe D.
I just started the Sunday rides last year late October after not attending for decades. I used to live in the area before moving upstate. It's slightly out range today. I hook up with a group of older guys south of me who give me a lift the rest of the way on Sunday. I handle the North County and parts of the South up to Elmsford. I make the trek into the city and back a couple of times a year, about 100 miles round trip. I remember the old bridge well and was in the GM plant near by before it was torn down. Had my first experience crossing the new bridge recently, nice!

25mph+ I bet. Sounds fun!

We'll be seeing each other on Sundays then. You can't miss me. I ride the purple Stingray with leopard print banana seat most times with another fella on a Tall bike.

One of my rides on the Croton Reservoir bridge, North County Trailway.

Last edited:
I just started the Sunday rides last year late October after not attending for decades. I used to live in the area before moving upstate. It's slightly out range today. I hook up with a group of older guys south of me who give me a lift the rest of the way on Sunday. I handle the North County and parts of the South up to Elmsford. I make the trek into the city and back a couple of times a year, about 100 miles round trip. I remember the old bridge well and was in the GM plant near by before it was torn down. Had my first experience crossing the new bridge recently, nice!

25mph+ I bet. Sounds fun!

We'll be seeing each other on Sundays then. You can't miss me. I ride the purple Stingray with leopard print banana seat most times with another fella on a Tall bike.

One of my rides on the Croton Reservoir bridge, North County Trailway.
View attachment 185991
Nice bike! When I saw the picture I thought I had seen it riding with a guy on a tall (one bike on top of another) on the Sunday ride.

Latest posts

Back