Help a guy out with some sealed bearing knowledge... (Also- does this look bent to you?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay, so I bought this Raleigh solely to use the parts off it to fix up an old KHS that brings back memories of my first 10-speed.
20210628_144647.jpg

It has this little "SEALED BEARINGS" sticker on the bottom bracket (and the hubs, by the way).
20210628_144737.jpg

I am hoping to use these cranks to replace the cottered cranks on the KHS. This is the business end of the KHS bottom bracket:
20210628_144456.jpg

Being that the Raleigh (1983 FWIW) is made in Taiwan and the KHS (1981-82ish) is also of Asian manufacture, is it safe to assume that the guts out of the Raleigh will thread right into the KHS? Does the fact that they are a sealed bearing set change anything? Is there anything special I need to know going into this swap?

I have a crank arm puller, and have used it to swap out a left-side crank with a cross-threaded pedal, but I have never opened up a 3-piece crank bottom bracket. All my BB experience thus far has been with 1-piece cranks. (Although I may have taken apart a cottered crank BB many many years ago as a kid... I kinda remember lots of loose bearings.)

Also, I am rationalizing blowing apart the Raleigh by telling myself that the fork is bent pretty badly. You guys think that this is beyond straightening, correct?
20210628_144655.jpg
20210628_144703.jpg

I mean, it's kind of a shame because it's a really nice frame built with 555 tubing, and I have read great things about them in a couple of forums...

The forks are probably bad. You could bend them straight, but it looks as if they were already corrected once after being bent backwards. That leaves a good chance for a crack in the crown (where it can't be noticed) which leads to a crash. There may be a crack already, you would have to disassemble them to inspect them thoroughly.

As long as both BB shells are 68mm, they should be transferable. Dave is correct on the rubber seal being the "sealed" part of the BB on the Raleigh. I also agree that the fork on the Raleigh is unusable and the assessment already given is correct there as well.

Since all the components will be swapped over, have you compared the width of the two spindles? Even when the bottom brackets parts fit easily, the size and position of the replacement crank can have a detrimental affect on the chain-line. I've seen folks substitute a three-piece BB only to discover that the crank and ring now scrape against the stays. I'm not saying that will happen here, but it is a measurement to be mindful of.

If you are not worried about 100% originality you can buy a fork on eBay that would keep that really nice Raleigh intact for around $50 maybe less. Who knows, maybe later you will find an original the right color at a fair price.
If the bike is already fish food, that would be a shame.
Not only that but sealed bearing conversions cannot be that expensive, and the only real benefit they have is on Mountain Bikes that are ran thru sand and creeks.
Rob

Latest posts

Back