Help Me Build My Felt Cruiser Please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want a Felt cruiser, but nothing in the current line really speaks to me, and there isn't much available used, so I figure I will build my own. I'm 6'-3" and about 200 lbs, with 35 inch inseam and want to build the bike to fit me.

Main goals:

1) Be comfortable to ride.
2) Look awesome.
3) Not be ridiculously expensive (try to stay below $1K USD before paint).

First off I'm not asking to be spoon-fed, but it's been a looong time (~25 years) since I had a bike, so I'm way out of the scene and don't know many of the suppliers, details, etc. My last bike was a Blue Max Mongoose with aluminum spider mags in the early 80's :)

Here's what I was thinking:

Felt Canvas frame kit
Brooks saddle (which model for my size and to fit Joker playback post?)
Joker layback seat post
Multi-speed rear hub
Triple tree front fork setup
Front disk brake
Wide wheels (50mm+?) and fat blackwall tires (3" Fatty-O's maybe?)
Undecided rear brake setup

That's about what I *think* I want for now. I don't know enough about cranks, pedals, headsets, bars or grips to make an informed decision. Oh, I need help on main sprocket sizing also. Pretty much flat around the neighborhood where we will mostly ride.

The "style" I'm going for is sort of "tough", crossed with laid back. Sort of modern motorcycle/mountain bike crossed with old-school cruiser. For colors I was thinking a striking monochromatic blue frame, maybe BMW Laguna Seca Blue. Or leave the frame raw aluminum and just wax it well. Unpolished or polished aluminum wheels with black tires, maybe red stripes on the tires. Maybe red wheels if no red on tires. Silver/polished cranks maybe with a red sprocket to pick up the red on the tires if I go that way. Silver Joker layback seat post. Silver headset.

Was thinking of having the forks, headset and seat post be heavy duty/tough/industrial looking and then the fat wheels/Brooks saddle and maybe bars balancing that out with the old-school look.

For wheels I was thinking a pre-built setup like the Felt: http://www.motostrano.com/Felt-3-spd-Rear-Wheel-Conversion-Kit-p/714057.htm and http://www.motostrano.com/Felt-Cruiser-26-Wheel-p/950400.htm

Or 3G (will this 3G setup fit the Felt frame?): http://www.motostrano.com/3G-Bikes-Cruiser-Deluxe-Wheel-Set-p/d3gbwsdx.htm

The feel I am going for is something along the lines of these pics but with higher/more rearward bars:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54404410@N07/5957526184

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54404410@N07/6302078830

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7309041@N03/4364204199

Anyway, I'd really appreciate some input on cranks, pedals, headsets, forks, bars, and grips to use. I'm looking for good quality, solid stuff, but not absolutely top of the line stuff either. Sort of the sweet spot of above average quality for a bit more $$ without going crazy.

I would be open to using the forks that come with the Felt Canvas frame kit and a single speed rear hub for a while if I need to. I want to be able to ride the bike pretty soon, not drag the build out for months until it's freezing cold outside. I'm set on a comfortable build, so i think I need the nice layback seat post and a good quality seat for sure. I can't seem to find any cool looking bars that look like they come back far enough for me to hold comfortably with a layback seat and not be bent over though…..

That's where I am for now, ideas/thoughts/comments/jabs welcomed.

Thanks,

Mike

Are the canvass cruiser frame kits still available? I was hunting for one before I bought my bike. Could not find one available. Emailed Felt and no response of course.

Alsfelt said:
Are the canvass cruiser frame kits still available? I was hunting for one before I bought my bike. Could not find one available. Emailed Felt and no response of course.

Hmm, I saw a dealer online or two that showed they had them in stock I thought; one might have been a 2011, but fine by me. Of course I haven't called yet, doh. I don't need a brand new frame, and older frame or whole bike I can work with for a good price would be fine, there just don't seem to be very many on CL/evil-bay.

Mike

beady said:
Alsfelt said:

Hmm, I saw a dealer online or two that showed they had them in stock I thought; one might have been a 2011, but fine by me. Of course I haven't called yet, doh. I don't need a brand new frame, and older frame or whole bike I can work with for a good price would be fine, there just don't seem to be very many on CL/evil-bay.

Mike

I found a good deal on my deep 6 but before that I was searching for a New Belgium bike. Really seems like a great bike to strip and build up. The newer New Belgium frames are really good looking too.

The pics below show a Felt I built some time ago. It sort of has that "modern motorcycle/mountain bike crossed with old-school cruiser" look that you describe.

Also have a look at devist8er"s insane moto Felt build Devist8er's Build

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build. Be sure to post some pics when you get it together.

DSC01559.jpg

DSC01553.jpg

I clock in at about the exact same height and weight as you and I ride my MP almost daily. With the right setup you should be able to get a nice comfortable ride. My biggest piece of advice for you, knowing how tall you are, would be to get the right layback seat post (the joker machine post should be good) and to raise up the bars a bit. I settled on a stem riser. Low bars look cool but I just cant ride that stooped forward for too long. I hope you find a Canvas. I think Felt kind of screwed up buy changing all their cruisers to the Deep 6 style frame and discontinuing the old style.

My MP:
IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1272.JPG

My mods are basic compared to Tater's amazing Rivet bike and the incredible Devest8er. But I do have all new hand laced wheels with 65mm rims from Choppers US, 8 speed Nexus transmission, Sturmey Archer drum up front, stem riser, Slowriderz seat post, Electra XL wide saddle with Felt springs, and custom made military blackout lighting. Oh and all my parts are painted OD green to match the bike.

Let us know if you find a stash of Canvas frames. I would consider buying one myself if the opportunity came along. Good luck with the build.

Regards,

Tater said:
The pics below show a Felt I built some time ago. It sort of has that "modern motorcycle/mountain bike crossed with old-school cruiser" look that you describe.

Also have a look at devist8er"s insane moto Felt build Devist8er's Build

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build. Be sure to post some pics when you get it together.

DSC01559.jpg

DSC01553.jpg

Yes, I like the feel of that bike, very nice!

I called my local dealer and he was going to check on the Canvas availability, but he never called back...... Not sure if that's an answer in itself or not.

Harold_B said:
If you are not able to get your hands on a Canvas there are Felt cruisers popping up on CL fairly often and typically at reasonable prices. There are two on the local CL, one for just $125:

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bik/4009358145.html

Start the search and put out the word and people will likely help you find what you are looking for.

Wow, that's cheap! I've been looking on CL and nothing near here, and nothing under ~$500 it seems on evil-bay.

Toying with the idea of building a Basman instead. More money, but the bike will be larger and fit me better. I feel like I'm perched way up in the sky riding around on my wife's old (men's fram) Fuji mountain bike right now. Of course there are no Basman frames to be had right now either, grrrrr. I want triple tree forks and 3" wheels, so no point in buying a whole factory bike new.

Mike

beady said:
Harold_B said:
If you are not able to get your hands on a Canvas there are Felt cruisers popping up on CL fairly often and typically at reasonable prices. There are two on the local CL, one for just $125:

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bik/4009358145.html

Start the search and put out the word and people will likely help you find what you are looking for.

Wow, that's cheap! I've been looking on CL and nothing near here, and nothing under ~$500 it seems on evil-bay.

Toying with the idea of building a Basman instead. More money, but the bike will be larger and fit me better. I feel like I'm perched way up in the sky riding around on my wife's old (men's fram) Fuji mountain bike right now. Of course there are no Basman frames to be had right now either, grrrrr. I want triple tree forks and 3" wheels, so no point in buying a whole factory bike new.

Mike
Pick yourself up an Elguapo and build from there. It's the cheaper of the hydro form tank bikes and I believe it comes with the forks you want. Just a thought.

I have a Felt/Hurley for sale. Its #3. I was told 3 of 250. Never ridden much. Quik Bricks on it. Id take 350 for it. Plus shipping from Pa.15147 PM me if interested

Voyager Al said:
I have a Felt/Hurley for sale. Its #3. I was told 3 of 250. Never ridden much. Quik Bricks on it. Id take 350 for it. Plus shipping from Pa.15147 PM me if interested

Thanks for the offer. I think I've almost convinced myself to just go for it and build a Basman though. Trouble is, I can't find a large frame in the US at the moment.

How did your build go?

I was & am in the same boat. Saw a Felt back in 2006 and wanted one BAD! Then just got a Sun 3 speed for the two years I was on an island.

I left there and got a mountain bike and pedaled around Virginia area. Then moved to Utah and haven't ridden it as much.

I bought a Felt Red Baron for a paltry sum and have been trying to turn it into a cross between a Red Baron and M.P.

Just curious how your project is going.

Will

Hi guys

for long time i was thinking to build an e-bike using the felt cruiser frame. (best will be using canvas cruiser frame for me).

And i have some idea about the bike so i ordered several parts in the last couple of months such as comfy brooks saddle ( i have been using it with my old bike to soften the leather), monark forks, steel classic fenders, etc...
Also i ordered a BMC motor to use as hub motor.

And now i see the frame of canvas cruiser, and i think that look is so sweet. What i want to ask you is, if any of you guys know the frame size or geometry.

As i afraid to order one and end up not fitting to my parts. (I can accept little cutting and welding job but not so much )>

So if any of you guys can help me i will appreciate a lot.

I try to get in touch with the local supplier of Felt in my Area (Czech republic) and they say they only sell road bikes and can't help me about this bike. So if i need to order it will cost me maybe additional 300-400 USD for the freight . So i don't want to waste 600-700 USD (cost of frame + freight).

Thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back