Hercufleas Camel Back

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that as well! Interesting this frame is so small in the seatpost size.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
My other Hercules is a real one, before the Raleigh buy out, and has a one inch seat post. This frame has no where near the workmanship of the earlier one. Smaller tubing on this Raleigh one as well. I think they just made this as cheap as possible. Good one to rat up. It was pretty beat when it was given to me, no original paint or decals, lots of surface rust, etc.

Last edited:
Something like this maybe?
IMG_0926.JPG

Looks good! I just overhauled a Raleigh made hercules yesterday, i can see where you say the frames look like lower quality, the rear brake bridge is a piece of plate steel! We have a couple Raleigh made ladies bikes, a sunbeam and a london flyer, but neither of them look as cheap as the hercules frame.

bf05fae732f7744093ffc929a1c937d0.jpg

Looks good! I just overhauled a Raleigh made hercules yesterday, i can see where you say the frames look like lower quality, the rear brake bridge is a piece of plate steel! We have a couple Raleigh made ladies bikes, a sunbeam and a london flyer, but neither of them look as cheap as the hercules frame.

bf05fae732f7744093ffc929a1c937d0.jpg
My Raleigh built Hercules also has a plate steel brake bridge while my older Hercules (before the buyout) has a curved tube one.

That is a cool seat, US. I remember when you were putting that together. For this current build though, I envision more of a vintage road bike type saddle. Maybe some springs involved, but a tighter, trimmer look to go with your sleek and traditional vibe you already have going.

That is a cool seat, US. I remember when you were putting that together. For this current build though, I envision more of a vintage road bike type saddle. Maybe some springs involved, but a tighter, trimmer look to go with your sleek and traditional vibe you already have going.
your right, thanks for your input

I may be able to drum up an older vinyl brooks saddle for it, something similar to the one I used on my 74 Raleigh Sports overhaul. Will let you know once sun comes up and coffee is brewing :)

Sun's not up here yet either (Mountain Time), but the coffee is long since brewed :)
And, it's raining in Mesa, AZ. So I will be seeking out some indoor activity for the next couple of days. If I had my skis down here I'd head for the mountains (only 2.5 hrs away), they are getting up to 2 feet of fresh snow today!

Yeah, trying to be curteous of the roomies, dont want to go upstairs and start rustling about too early, though the smell of fresh brewed joe seems to awaken them :) its 6:30 now, usually my cutoff time, if you arent up yet you will be soon, coffees brewing!

Sun's not up here yet either (Mountain Time), but the coffee is long since brewed :)
And, it's raining in Mesa, AZ. So I will be seeking out some indoor activity for the next couple of days. If I had my skis down here I'd head for the mountains (only 2.5 hrs away), they are getting up to 2 feet of fresh snow today!

It got real warm here and I have been riding on the city bike path as the snow bike trails are too mushy to ride on. I have been riding quite a bit on the bike path and roads. We didn't get that much snow this winter and I think it is going to mostly melt off as it is going to be warm for the next week. The rain you are getting must be coming this way as they are predicting rain for us for several days. I got asked to volunteer again as an official at our annual ski jumping tournament January 31. It wouldn't bother me if it got cancelled but this is the club's biggest event for the year bringing in $20,000. We spend this on our junior development program. We put plastic on 3 of our jumps with this money so they can be used year round. The tournament money is used to pay off our loan for the plastic. Thats all the skiing I do anymore.

It got real warm here and I have been riding on the city bike path as the snow bike trails are too mushy to ride on. I have been riding quite a bit on the bike path and roads. We didn't get that much snow this winter and I think it is going to mostly melt off as it is going to be warm for the next week. The rain you are getting must be coming this way as they are predicting rain for us for several days. I got asked to volunteer again as an official at our annual ski jumping tournament January 31. It wouldn't bother me if it got cancelled but this is the club's biggest event for the year bringing in $20,000. We spend this on our junior development program. We put plastic on 3 of our jumps with this money so they can be used year round. The tournament money is used to pay off our loan for the plastic. Thats all the skiing I do anymore.
Sounds like you are really involved in perpetuating the sport of skiing as well as cycling. That kind of support is really vital to the maintenance and growth of these organizations. Kudos to you!
We have a ski jump that's only a 1/2 mi from our house in Minnesota. They also have the artificial surface jump and landing pad. It's really fun to watch them train in the warm months and compete in the winter.

China part came. It was a 24 tooth freewheel. When I ordered it around Christmas there were 24 tooth fixed gears advertised on the net. Now I can't find any. I thought I would wait to order the fixed gear after the freewheel came as Christmas took a lot of $. I just ordered, together, a 22 tooth in each. Can't do much until they come in. Hopefully they won't take another two months.

I really liked the custom springer-seat you had 1st. Like you, I ride a lot, and seem to end up really appreciating my heavy(er) sprung seats on some of my bikes. They are truly superior in smoothing out small bumps. Saddles are a very personal choice for sure.
I always run old frames/forks/parts with a new drivetrain and wheels!!:thumbsup:s. Keep going on your new ride, looks good so far...

I really liked the custom springer-seat you had 1st. Like you, I ride a lot, and seem to end up really appreciating my heavy(er) sprung seats on some of my bikes. They are truly superior in smoothing out small bumps. Saddles are a very personal choice for sure.
I always run old frames/forks/parts with a new drivetrain and wheels!!:thumbsup:s. Keep going on your new ride, looks good so far...
I'm waiting for parts from China. I had a set back with my flip flop cogs. I didn't order the fixed and freewheel together and when I got my freewheel I could no longer find a fixed gear with the same number of teeth. I don't want to monkey with two different gear ratios, but I guess I could, they did that for the first 30 years of the Tour de France. When I get my freewheel I can build. What are your favorite rides or do you ride everything? I ride fat, XC, all mountain, road, classic road, classic cruisers, vintage mountain, rod brake gentleman's, folders, studded ice and Klunkers. My favorite ride is a 2007 Specialized Epic with 2.35 tires, dropper post, and 20 x 40 low gearing. My next favorite are my klunkers. They complement each other and I seem to build skills faster when I ride both. Many of my vintage cruisers have updated drive trains. I use a lot of new wheels but I have a big stash of vintage drop center rims and use some of those too. I have a 1936 Snyder collet frame cruiser that I laced on a set of double drop center rims and used up some skip tooth parts I had laying around. I have 3-4 skippers but am not that fond of riding them. I have a 1940s Columbia frame and fork and I have all the parts to make another skipper but no immediate plans to build it. The homemade seat you mentioned is currently on a 1940 Snyder skip tooth mens bike and I plan to remove it and put it on a 1938 CWC woman's frame with updated wheels and drive line. I am building it for my daughter.

Most of my saddle time is on a custom-built carbon 26" Ibis Mojo SL MTB early April through October here in Utah until the snow shuts us down. Don't ride fat-bikes, so I stop and ski powder through the winter.
When in So-Cal in the spring, I ride my old Steel-Framed Rats, (4 or 5) 1920's to 50's balloon frames with 3spd drivetrains/custom wheels. It's flat there with no climbing, ideal for putting some miles on them, so I try to get out daily on different ones when I'm down there.
I don't ride nearly as much as you ride, which seems like all year long.
Looking forward to this bike getting finished up! SKPC

Most of my saddle time is on a custom-built carbon 26" Ibis Mojo SL MTB early April through October here in Utah until the snow shuts us down. Don't ride fat-bikes, so I stop and ski powder through the winter.
When in So-Cal in the spring, I ride my old Steel-Framed Rats, (4 or 5) 1920's to 50's balloon frames with 3spd drivetrains/custom wheels. It's flat there with no climbing, ideal for putting some miles on them, so I try to get out daily on different ones when I'm down there.
I don't ride nearly as much as you ride, which seems like all year long.
Looking forward to this bike getting finished up! SKPC

I couldn't ride as much as I do now before I retired. When you work and have a family it is hard to ride 3 to 6 hours a day. This winter has been great for riding the fat bike on the groomed trails as it has mostly been hard crust and the city bike path is plowed and was melted mostly free of ice all winter. In the winter I only ride fat and my old rigid Giant with studded tires. I miss riding my cruisers. Hopefully it will melt off, rain and wash the salt away so I can get the old ones out. Whenever I want to work on a bike I get the urge to ride and riding wins.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back