Hercules Camel Back Fixie done (Hercufleas)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
DSCN0055.JPG

Looks like your snow's about gone...perfect timing for the end of the Winter Build-Off! Now you can hit the road! On your fixie, I mean... :21:

Like the sleek design. I could see some matching blue tape on those bars someday....and maybe an Brooks style saddle....

RaT oN!

Looks like your snow's about gone...perfect timing for the end of the Winter Build-Off! Now you can hit the road! On your fixie, I mean... :21:

Like the sleek design. I could see some matching blue tape on those bars someday....and maybe an Brooks style saddle....

RaT oN!
Early end to winter here. We are over 40 inches below average for snowfall, only getting about 140 total inches this winter. Blue tape is a good idea. It rains here when it isn't in the forecast. I have not had luck with Brooks seats as they get wet and ruined. Our classic ride last August got caught in a massive downpour, that wasn't expected. That ride would have ruined a Brooks type saddle. I think they work better in dryer climates and for someone who is more particular about when they ride than I am. I always forget I have a leather seat. I have ruined quite a few Brooks saddles in the rain. You ride to work when it is nice and then riding home it seems to always rain. I tried shower caps but they still get wet. Last brooks I bought was in the 1960s.

Last edited:
Nice and streamlined. Camelbacks are a interesting frame.
The frame was given to me. I have to start refusing frames. They sit for a while, then I get an idea and build something. My 40+ bike collection is out of hand, I need to get more selective. I did pass on a Colson loop tail this winter. That was hard because I don't have a loop tail.

I
The frame was given to me. I have to start refusing frames. They sit for a while, then I get an idea and build something. My 40+ bike collection is out of hand, I need to get more selective. I did pass on a Colson loop tail this winter. That was hard because I don't have a loop tail.
I here ya,have the same issue. So its time to start building what I have. Before anymore come my way... Easy said then done...

Love the camelback frames.
Great job at keeping the old school styling with new school components!

RaT oN!
I ordered dark blue tape. Thanks for the suggestion. If I could find and inexpensive leather seat I would use that idea too. So far they are all to expensive. Last winter (2015-16) I got a new old Ideal seat from eBay for $40.00. I put it on my vintage Peugeot and I am careful to only go for road rides in nice weather. I don't see anything for a reasonable price like that this year.

That bad boy looks read for spring , warm pavement & sunshine. Perfect frame Nice bike [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never ridden a fixed gear bike before. It's weird and I will have to ride it more to get accustomed to the odd feeling of no coasting. Two of my friends tried riding it but they are both over 6 feet and their knees hit the bars. For a short guy like me it is fine. I can see how it will improve your peddling as it makes you have a nice round stroke with even pressure. You are always aware of your foot position.

Nice bike!
The last two years I was in the Navy, I rode a 69 Hercules with that same frame. Original red finish and chrome was perfect on that 3 speed. A little too small for me but I just raised the seat high. It never left Gitmo, either on land, or in the bay. I had to go home on emergency leave and it was either left behind or chucked overboard. I always wondered how it would ride with lightweight wheels and cranks like you've done here.

Nice bike!
The last two years I was in the Navy, I rode a 69 Hercules with that same frame. Original red finish and chrome was perfect on that 3 speed. A little too small for me but I just raised the seat high. It never left Gitmo, either on land, or in the bay. I had to go home on emergency leave and it was either left behind or chucked overboard. I always wondered how it would ride with lightweight wheels and cranks like you've done here.
I't light as there is nothing to it, which helps it climb hills. It even has a small light BMX seat on it. The tires are very skinny (maybe 23, but I can't remember). The gearing is 32 x 22 and is just about right for where I have tried it. Stop/slowing is hard on the old knees. Everyone who has ridden it commented on how surprisingly easy it is to pedal. The steering and balance is very responsive, especially if you ride a lot of mountain or cruisers. I still am getting use to it and have only ridden it in my subdivision and surrounding ones. I don't think I will ever be up to riding down the big hills from my house to Lake Superior and connecting up with the City Lake Shore Bike Path. I can see using this for awhile and then dismantling it and selling the wheels. It's not something I will use a lot.

I rode it almost 5.5 miles today with some moderate hills. Next I will try a more hilly area but not too extreme. My thighs are aching from slowing it down on the descents. It rides great and was different and enjoyable but not the kind of thing I would want to ride any more than 10 miles on. I came up to the crest of a hill and forgot I can't coast and almost got tossed off. I usually coast here with my other bikes. I gotta pay attention. Small adjustments and tweaks are done. Just waiting to get dark blue bar tape. I plan to use 12 or 16 gauge shotgun shells for bar end caps.

Latest posts

Back