Hey BMX'ers, I Need a Front Hub!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
***Edit*** So now I'm just looking for a front hub....

Trying to build my True Torch and hubs are giving me fits. I want some 36 hole, sealed bearing BMX hubs in either red or gold. How hard can that be? I want something at least old school looking, but they can be new. I can't find ANYTHING. Well, I should say, I can't find anything priced within reason. Sure, I can buy some Phil Wood or Bullseye hubs for $300-$400 but that just isn't gonna happen. I would love to get my hands on some of the Sunshine sealed hubs from the 80's but I can't find any.

So what would you other BMX'ers do? Any new production options?

Re: Hey BMX'ers, I Need Hubs!

Thanks, but the ones for that are the typical loose ball bearing high flnge hubs. I can get those, but I want sealed bearing ones. They just spin so much nicer.

I have a set of 20 inch gold rims with gold hubs, but I don't remember what brand they are. Would you be interested in the wheel set? I don't think I would want to sell the hubs seperate.

Never mind - I just dug them out and the rims are Araya and the hubs are Shimano, but they are not sealed bearings, they are loose ball.

For the record, if I could find some like this I would be thrilled. These are the sealed bearing Sunshine hubs I think look great.

51415ac2.jpg

8049aa09.jpg

Crassly, Thanks for checking. Btw, those are very nice wheels if they are in good shape. Don't sell them cheap!

Porkchop is out of "normal" color hubs right now. Said it would be the end of May or so until he is restocked.

Those aren't too bad, but I think the TNT ones look a lot better. Darn, I wish Porkchop had them in stock...

For now I guess the search continues for vintage ones.

try bmxmuseum.com
lots of RAD stuff and people!

Ok, change of plans. I bought a coaster brake rear hub to use on my cruiser build, but I still need a front hub. Needs to be red.

Does somebody have a nice sealed bearing, red, front hub??? Hi-flange would be a bonus!

Danimal said:
Ok, change of plans. I bought a coaster brake rear hub to use on my cruiser build, but I still need a front hub. Needs to be red.
Does somebody have a nice sealed bearing, red, front hub??? Hi-flange would be a bonus!

How's about a price range? If $60 is in that range, you can buy the "match" to your rear hub:

http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=57 ... id=SU-HBTR

Pic here:
-200_komponenty_sturmey-archer_naboje_sa-p-hbt30-alu-red.jpg

Totally not BMX, but then, neither is the rear. This'll do you fine, if you're building a fun round-town, to-the-pub cruiser (and I suspect you are...)

HTH,
-rob

**edit** with what you saved on the rear and with brakes, you can easily splurge on the front hub... FWIW, the sturmey-archer front hub w/ drum brake I have is smooth like butter...

No build thread yet since all I have is the F/F set and a few odd parts.

That S/A hub looks super cool and my budget would be ok with it. It's even sealed bearings. I'm a little concerned with the 9mm axle size...man that is small! It is my best option though if no vintage pieces I like turn up.

Danimal said:
No build thread yet since all I have is the F/F set and a few odd parts.

That S/A hub looks super cool and my budget would be ok with it. It's even sealed bearings. I'm a little concerned with the 9mm axle size...man that is small! It is my best option though if no vintage pieces I like turn up.

3/8"=9.52mm. Therefore, the SA HBT's axle is .52mm smaller than a 3/8" axle. :D So, if you're going to be a "little" concerned, that makes sense, since it is such a "little" difference. (Or, if you need even more reassurance, consider that I've been riding trails on my mountain bike @250lbs with a 9mm front axle for about a decade...no problems. Lotta other fat guys doing the same thing.)

-rob

edit** Also, some truly old-school/ancient BMX front hubs were 5/16" axles...less than 8mm!!!

I know it probably won't change your mind but I've seen plenty of traditional ball bearing hubs spin just as smooth and as long as sealed hubs. I've also seen bullseye and phil wood hubs seem to spin for days, but if its not a higher end sealed bearing, the impressiveness just isn't as impressive. But you can't beat a sealed hub if you want to put em on and forget about them. Good luck filling the bill, I wouldnt be afraid of the sturmey front hub one bit.

Latest posts

Back