Hey hey from Northwest Arkansas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I stayed up way too late last night checking out the gallery and all the bike builds so I figured I should post an intro and stick around for a while.

I used to work at a bike shop in Omaha NE back in the early 90's when I was in high school and summers home from college. Back then I was mostly into bmx and mountain biking but I did pick up a 60's Schwinn Typhoon with 2-speed kickback that I've always regretted selling when I finally left Omaha. I've been out of the bicycle scene for a long time now, but my wife was wanting a bike so I started keeping my eye out. We found a sweet Breeze on Craigslist for $40, I found the Schwinn forum to try to find out some info on it, and it's all down hill from there. This was about a month and a half ago, now I have six bikes hanging in my little shed and on Sunday I'm going to look at two more. My wife thinks I've gone nuts, but we went for our first bike ride together the other day and it was a blast. She's amazed that I pick hobbies that require lots of space and lots of specialized tools. My other hobby is guitar-building, haven't finished one yet but I'm good at starting them. http://guitarmaking.blogspot.com

Hope it's not in bad form to post this many pics on a first post. It's not a real impressive collection, nothing too rare or interesting, but it's been fun getting back into bikes.

Here's the one that started it, 1974 Breeze. I've got some of the parts off as I was doing a little cleanup, chain degreasing, etc... I put pink Vans brake shoes by Kool Stop on it. I need to overhaul the 3-speed hub, I don't think it's ever been serviced and it's not shifting right.
bikecollection07.jpg

So then I found this matching Speedster, same year and color, on eBay. Still missing seat/post, but it was very clean out of the poorly packed box.
bikecollection10.jpg

Then I found this on Craigslist and picked it up within a couple hours of it being posted. It's a 1953, mostly original from what I can see except the rear tire and seat post clamp bolt. I think it's a Meteor model which is lower end, but it's got a couple nice upgrades with the springer and torpedo light. I've been having a great time cruising the neighborhood on it. The only problem is I'm too fat so the spring compresses a lot when I ride. I think I'm going to get a smaller high tension spring to fit inside the original. Hopefully I'll lose a few pounds pedaling this thing up some slight inclines.
bikecollection05.jpg

This is my dad's childhood bike and probably the one I'll get a little creative with since these aren't super valuable. I think it's about a 1953 Montgomery Wards/Hawthorne. It's been painted a couple times and has been sloppily welded once at the seat tube/bottom bracket.
bikecollection15.jpg

Then this is my dad's bike from college, 1963-ish Hawthorne/Hercules 3-speed with coaster brake. Funny thing is I couldn't find any real similar bikes online till I found a thread on here where someone passed one up on a garage sale for $50 obo. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11014&p=110418
bikecollection14.jpg

bikecollection13.jpg

Not pictured: the 1994 Jamis "Diablo" mountain bike and the two 1949 English 3-speeds I'm going to go look at on Sunday to a local guy I've talked to. His dad bought them in 1949, still has the receipt. He was going to refinish them in the 1980's so they're taken apart and everything was stripped and primed and never put back together.

Thanks if you've read this far, see you around.

welcome back to the bike world! Pretty neat that you have a couple of bikes that pop used to ride!

Thanks for the welcome, guys. That'd be fun to make it out to Wichita sometime. My latest project at work was actually for the new Sedgwick County Arena, I did the drafting and engineering on the curtainwall (big windows).

Nice! What year is yours? Mine's definitely a Schwinn. They used that little graphic a lot of years I think, back into the early 40's if I'm remembering the catalog pics correctly.

I rode it down to watch the local Veteran's Day parade this morning. I saw a friend from church and his dad was with him and just got the biggest kick out the bike. He didn't have one exactly like it, his would have been pre-war and not a Schwinn. But his eyes just lit up talking about the bike he had as a kid, how his father had warned him not to let anyone ride on the rear rack but that he did anyway. Fun stuff.

Just got my Typhoon Cords in the mail today so I'm anxious to get those on. The one on the front in the picture is original, but it split after a few minutes the first time I rode it.

letseatpaste said:
Thanks for the welcome, guys. That'd be fun to make it out to Wichita sometime. My latest project at work was actually for the new Sedgwick County Arena, I did the drafting and engineering on the curtainwall (big windows).
Once the arena is done you'll have 2 reasons to come to Wichita then.

Welcome. And listen to Locojoe, come to Wichita some time, If you need a cool bike to ride when your here just ask a Coasters BC member, there is a couple............. hundred or more bikes around here that you could probably borrow for a ride. Or bring your own.
And Dads childhood bike may not be worth big bucks, but it is a very cool frame.
bikecollection15.jpg

I have got a similar frame and built my Beerbike on it, its a favorite, Its won 3 trophies and just last Saturday won me a $20 gift card at a LBSs annual pub cruize.
beerbike4.jpg

Build up that frame, make Dad proud.

Looks like your going to have another sweet Schwinn here pretty soon to line up with the others. :D

Yup, Schwinns will take the majority in my collection in a couple days. :) I have to sell my mountain bike so I can have room for your B-6, these all have to hang in an 8x12 shed along with all my tools, lawnmower, lumber stash, etc... It's like playing pickup sticks when I need to pull a bike out. :)

Welcome to the sight... I think it's cool that you have your Dad's old bikes!

Latest posts

Back