Hi. Is it hot in here or is that you?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day all. Kenny G is the name but no worries, I have more soul in my pinky then that guy with the silly looking saxophone.

While long walks on the beach are truly beautiful, living a mile above sea level in the western suburbs of Denver does make it difficult to feel the sand between my toes. Mid 30's, unemployed and recently single with a mortgage and car payment, what better thing to have than bicycles? Well besides a tricycle?

Cheap, fun and the best therapy a person could ever ask for, I love my bikes. Past, present and future.

2fef6efa.jpg

This is the bike that saved my life. Originally purchased through a Pearl Izumi deal, where the company had bought a bunch of single speed Schwinn Cruisers for a sales meeting. Then after the sales meeting was over the bikes were to be sold for cost. In the end the deal was more popular than Pearl had expected so they offered the same deal for a NIB bike. It was the first bike I ever built from the ground up.
As a 2 pack-a-day smoker at the time, I bought the bike as a decoration. I'll always regret going for the steel instead of the alloy frame but once i started riding it (6 years after buying it), I couldn't stop. That first summer I started riding for fun and exercise I put over 500 miles on it and after switching to a 16t rear cog, realized maybe it was time to buy something else for riding.
This allowed me to go back to playing with the Schwinn, adding the springer fork, seat, handle bars and lighting. Not always the easiest to pedal, with the 16t cog and seating position, I still ride it almost daily for coffee, grocery, beer and library runs.

1f92be24.jpg

My other babies!
The bike is a Specialized Centrum 3spd, which became the Globe San Fransisco. Shimano internal 3-spd, mechanical disks, clipless pedals and some sticky Conti's make it a blast for kicking around town, playing on local single track/bmx trails and generally causing mayhem.

The car is a 2009 VW Golf (sold in the US as the Rabbit), gently breathed on with some more power, suspension, cosmetic and brake upgrades. It is finally out of warranty and ready for some real changes once I get a job. Just like their 2 wheeled brethren, VW's tend to come and go with me.

When I'm not playing with cars, bikes or condo improvement projects, I like watching women in skimpy, tight clothing and roller skates beat the crap out of each other on the flat track. For real though, the ladies of flat track roller derby are the most amazing athletes I've ever seen and am constantly amazed with their skill, power and determination. Luckily Colorado is a hot bed for this quickly growing sport and I get to feed that monkey on a regular basis.
http://denverrollerdolls.org/ - Colorado's classiest. MHC!!

And if you've made it this far, thanks for sticking with me. I'm sorry for any grammatical errors and hope the coding works how I expect. Back to lurking and enjoying the amazing work displayed here.

kennyg

ChrisMac said:
What is the connection with bikes and Dubs?

I blame their Lego like quality. You pick and choose the parts you want, odds are usually pretty good they'll work together and if not, there's always the BFH.

Like making this all work together -
94f11ef2.jpg

Or fitting a motor that has no right being there -
237cba27.jpg

I've always thought a VW looked better with a bike nearby too. And also like I said, the car is out of warranty now and that's the first time I've had a warranty anyway. It's usually a good idea to have alternative transportation around.

Pic009.jpg

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I've always thought this was a different corner of the internet. Dare I say friendly even?

I wish I could say the blue mk1 was mine but alas, it's the car of a good friend's wife. Thankfully for having helped in the effectively overnight motor swap I was granted the keys for a quick drive. There is nothing quite like a sub 2000 lb car, trying to put way more torque than it needs through skinny little tires. It will certainly get out of it's own way but stopping can become interesting.

Peatbog, I would have to say that they are somehow related, for sure.

jaysmo said:
Welcome!!! nice bikes and vw's...but that looks like 69 toyota in front of the vw fox wagon....

Wow jaysmo! You are correct, that is a 1969 Toyota Corona. Always wanted to swap the 4AGE from the Corolla in the backyard into it but too many projects, too little time and money. I'll always regret selling that car.

As the first and only person to ever get the year and make of the car, I present you one internet cookie
chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg

thank you sir :mrgreen: ... i have been a faithful Toyota driver since i was i 15 iv had 4 ae's 3-te72 and a ae72... i have a 86ae sitting the parking lot right now... :wink: its still has the single cam in it but that will all change ... hopefully next year it goes 20v...
BTW on craigs list orlando theres one going for 1800 has rear end damage but its all there...

Latest posts

Back