Hiawatha: "Mas Patina"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found these barn fresh bikes locally. The bikes were ridden by the seller and his brother when they were kids back in the 50's. They had been hanging in the barn until recently. Both seemed good candidates for a build off. Hiawatha on the right and Schwinn "The World" on left.

HiawathaWorld.jpg

Here is the Hiawatha as found:

Hiawatha%20Found.jpg

and a shot of the nose:

Hiawatha%20Nose.jpg

I soaked every fastener in PBlaster and gave them a rap with a hammer every day for a week. The bike came apart easily except for the pedals. I tried everything including big heat to get the pedals removed from the crank arms. I finally took care of the problem with a Sawzall.

HiawathaStripped.jpg

I spent a few days just looking at the frame trying to decide on a paint scheme. I took some 600 grit to the frame to smooth it out before shooting rattle can primer. While sanding, I decided the 50+ years of patina had to stay. Time to start building it back up. I sourced this equally ratty springer, new crank, bearings and a wheelset at Memory Lane...

HiawathaSpringer.jpg

First set of bars didn't quite do it for me. The look was acceptable but not comfortable and I intend to ride the snot out of this thing. The pedals weren't right either...

HiawathaFirstBars.jpg

The stem and bars from the Schwinn were a perfect fit.

WorldBars.jpg

Stripped and rattle canned an old seat - dual suspension.

SeatPan.jpg

The chainguard is definitely a keeper. Gotta be worth an extra 10 mph on the flats. The pedals are goners.

ChainGuard.jpg

All that is left is a test ride and a few photos for the "finished" thread...

MasPatina.jpg

Latest posts

Back