His & Hers Huffys

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found these matched Huffys on Craigslist a couple weeks ago as I was looking for a girls roadie for my girlfriend. When I got there they needed all tires/tubes replaced but were really more crusty than rusty. Gave $30 for the set which was probably more than they were worth but I knew I'd be able to make a good little profit on the men's frame with a little elbow grease.

Sadly I didn't think to take any pictures of the boy's bike during it's cleanup/rebuild but I think it came out pretty well. It sold in less than a day of sitting on Craigslist...If you can find cheap road frames you can make a killing in a college town.

Here's the un-started girl sitting in front of the finished boy.
photo_zps4e8a05f4.jpg

photo_zps404fc6ff.jpg

photo_zpsba493bd3.jpg

photo_zpsb33da904.jpg

I swapped the fork with a beefier one from an old Good Vibrations cruiser partly because I thought it looked better.... and partly to use the original as my new truing stand.
Outside of the fork it was new tubes, tires, and brake pads. Removed the front derailleur and taller chainring as well just to tidy things up. The paint doesn't show well in the photos, but half of the bike really shined up with a little rubbing compound, the other half was flat-blacked to cover up imperfections. I was really kinda bummed that it sold so quickly...
I'll promise to be better about posting pics of my progress on the girly frame. It'll be my girlfriend's rider there's no rush to finish it out as quickly as the other.

Probably the best thing to come out of this build(outside of the monies...) was my new found wheel lacing ability. I'd always been far to intimidated by the idea of wheel building but that rear wheel absolutely refused to true up... to the point where I eventually got angry enough to just take the whole stupid thing apart...

photo_zpsef909a78.jpg

I never thought I was getting this mess back together... A couple failed attempts, a quick YouTube video, and another wheel brought into the house as a reference and I had it done. I've since laced up a couple more including a coaster brake into the rear rim of a Mountain Bike/Urban Bomber combo I'm working on. There is something strangely gratifying about finishing a new wheel up, throwing on a tube and tire, and rolling it around the neighborhood.

I bet that is satisfing! Still holding off from trying it myself, here is my latest effort for the "Muscle bike build off"... :wink:

DSC00250 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

I should mention that I'm not afraid of lacing up a wheel, I actually have three other fully laced wheels for it, this one was made to suit the monster wide rear wheel I already made... :mrgreen:

Luke.

Awesome score at that price, love those old Huffy road bikes, here's one I picked up for 15 bucks and made into a single speed street racer. It's honestly one of my favorite bikes to ride, she's fast.

Latest posts

Back