Home on The Range

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not my neighborhood, but going in just down the street from one of my brothers in Blue Lake, CA. Now both of my older siblings have planned bike parks with paved pump tracks going in close to them.

Blue Lake Pump Track Concept V3.jpg

RCMBA has been doing some great work up in Humboldt County for quite a few years.

Bonus, it's going to be a couple hundred yards from Mad River Brewing.

20220228_131437.jpg

Kenosha Pass

One of the marquee MTB routes in the state departs from this point. It's great on a weekday, but on a weekend or in the Fall any day of the week, forget it unless you like singletrack traffic jams. I make it a point to ride it early season every couple of years because it's that good.

Last edited:
The local snow bike trail was just shut down as snowmobiles wouldn’t keep off it. The last few weeks were spent surveying, snowshoeing, and compacting a new three miles loop trail. It’s been open for about 4 days now. Better to have a short safe trail than a long unsafe one.

I kind of feel indifferent on it. It puts your ljfe in to the drivers hand to yield. As a motorcyclist, that doesn’t sound too good. It will hold water till someone gets ran over when a vehicle is making a right hand turn as the bike comes up from behind.

this new law in Colorado is applicable to rolling through stop signs,is my understanding.
It's also treating red lights as a stop, due to sensors not picking bikes up.

When last residing in SoCal I worked and rode at night constantly. I practiced all of what this law allows constantly, otherwise it would have taken me an obnoxious amount of time to get anywhere on a bicycle. Essentially it allows a cyclist to roll through a stop sign when safe to do so and not over 15mph. It also allows for treating a red traffic signal as a stop, not proceeding until the intersection is clear.

FWIW, I've never been effected by a right hook when practicing any of this. My head is on a swivel constantly when riding on any streets. So many drivers anymore suck so badly that you have to be this way. They have no idea what a bicyclist is supposed to do as it is, so we may as well get away from intersections as quickly as possible because it is one of the places that cyclists are most vulnerable.

It's also treating red lights as a stop, due to sensors not picking bikes up.

When last residing in SoCal I worked and rode at night constantly. I practiced all of what this law allows constantly, otherwise it would have taken me an obnoxious amount of time to get anywhere on a bicycle. Essentially it allows a cyclist to roll through a stop sign when safe to do so and not over 15mph. It also allows for treating a red traffic signal as a stop, not proceeding until the intersection is clear.

FWIW, I've never been effected by a right hook when practicing any of this. My head is on a swivel constantly when riding on any streets. So many drivers anymore suck so badly that you have to be this way. They have no idea what a bicyclist is supposed to do as it is, so we may as well get away from intersections as quickly as possible because it is one of the places that cyclists are most vulnerable.
The sensor thing makes sense. I just hope riders take responsibility and exercise caution and not assumption.

I just hope riders take responsibility and exercise caution and not assumption.
I think that's why local politicians and municipalities were balking at adopting SB 18-144. In a way I understand them not wanting to be liable for the actions of those who are idiots. Funny that so many idiots drive motor vehicles and are far more dangerous to the public in that mode of transportation.

In Idaho and elsewhere that this law has been in place, collisions between vehicles and bicycles have been down as far as 14%.

Not a fan... especially with low speed conveyances including ebikes. I can imagine all kinds of unhealthy interactions.
Considering most vehicle/bicycle incidents take place at an intersection, spending less time in or near an intersection should help cyclists avoid unhealthy interactions in that particular danger zone.

Trust me, not petitioning against the ruling, but merely from the stand point as a motorcyclist and rider so who has seen his daughter on a ventilator in ICU for two weeks, due to negligent driver.

Whilst riding a bicycle day or night I always assume that I am invisible to people driving cars. After a lifetime of not getting hit I have bicycle riding habits that always give the right of way to any steel fender that wants where I am going. I don't even get mad anymore. There, have it, glad I didn't get hit. As noted by KCI, my head is on a swivel. My wife and I recently changed a route we had taken for ten years with no problems. The traffic has gotten so heavy that the car drivers are getting more and more desperate and we started having close calls. Don't ride there anymore. Now ride a slightly longer route through a subdivision that has very little traffic. Oddly decades ago I would burn through red light intersections with a very low risk of getting hit. That stopped about ten years ago as traffic in my area grew heavier. Now I stop at almost every red light intersection due to the risk of getting hit. I ride up on the sidewalk and hit the WALK button and wait my turn. Our town has grown 67% in the last 22 years.

Trust me, not petitioning against the ruling, but merely from the stand point as a motorcyclist and rider so who has seen his daughter on a ventilator in ICU for two weeks, due to negligent driver.
I am so sorry to hear about your daughters injury. I hope she was able to recover her life afterwards. Steel vehicle bodies are unforgiving to the soft tissue of humans.

I am so sorry to hear about your daughters injury. I hope she was able to recover her life afterwards. Steel vehicle bodies are unforgiving to the soft tissue of humans.
She has recovered for the most part. Just about every bone on her left side was broken, She still does physical therapy, The brain injury has taken the longest. But thankful she has done as well as she has.

Whilst riding a bicycle day or night I always assume that I am invisible to people driving cars. After a lifetime of not getting hit I have bicycle riding habits that always give the right of way to any steel fender that wants where I am going. I don't even get mad anymore. There, have it, glad I didn't get hit. As noted by KCI, my head is on a swivel. My wife and I recently changed a route we had taken for ten years with no problems. The traffic has gotten so heavy that the car drivers are getting more and more desperate and we started having close calls. Don't ride there anymore. Now ride a slightly longer route through a subdivision that has very little traffic. Oddly decades ago I would burn through red light intersections with a very low risk of getting hit. That stopped about ten years ago as traffic in my area grew heavier. Now I stop at almost every red light intersection due to the risk of getting hit. I ride up on the sidewalk and hit the WALK button and wait my turn. Our town has grown 67% in the last 22 years.
Sounds a bit like cycling here in Berlin...

Latest posts

Back