Hookworms on 80mm rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about a set of Maxxis Hookworms for my fat bike with 26 x 80mm rims. I've heard and read everything from they fit great, no problems to don't bother they totally don't fit. Since I've seen on this very site 80mm rims with 2.125 tires installed, I'm going to assume that the Hookworms will work at 2.5. My question is will 29 x 2.5 fit better than 26 x 2.5s? Which size should I get?

I'm thinking about a set of Maxxis Hookworms for my fat bike with 26 x 80mm rims. I've heard and read everything from they fit great, no problems to don't bother they totally don't fit. Since I've seen on this very site 80mm rims with 2.125 tires installed, I'm going to assume that the Hookworms will work at 2.5. My question is will 29 x 2.5 fit better than 26 x 2.5s? Which size should I get?
29x2.5's will not fit on a 26er rim. The 29er rim is 622mm across its diameter, bead-to-bead, and the 26er rim is only 559mm. That's basically a difference of 2-1/2".

So here's the deal: If you plan to ride off road with them, don't bother with the 2.5's. The sidewalls will be stretched out to the side, and won't absorb impacts nearly as well as they would on a rim of 57mm or less in width. If your fat bike is just a cruiser with fat rims that's going to roll around on the steet, and you're not prone to dropping into potholes or misjudging when bunnyhopping curbs, then the 2.5s will be fine. You may want to run them near their max rated pressure, though.

+1 You can run the 26" Hookworms on your 80mm rims, but that's basically the bottom-end of what will fit and stay on the rim's hook. Keep the psi up, or the bead may roll off. But, it's definitely gonna look cool.

Latest posts

Back