#HOP - DONE!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well since I have had so much fun working on my first bike and the build off is upon us I figure let the goodtimes roll and let get another bike and get in this mofo. Looking at some of the work out there I have leaps and bounds to go as far as fabrication but at the end of the day I and all of us entering are ending up with cool bikes we are proud of so as they say..... #WINNING!!!

Here is what I am starting with I havent picked it up from the eBay seller but he hapens to be right near next weekends Central NJ Bike Show and swap so killing 2 birds with one stone. It is an AMF Royal Master not sure they year if anyone knew that would be awesome. I am going to say mid sixties...

KGrHqNlME2EiNnWRBBNl2hZFw_3.jpg

Here is some detail of the chainguard and front fork details.

KGrHqUOKnQE1ReQMfYBNl23yg9Gg_3.jpg

KGrHqQOKpEE1rfzz9BNl24biObw_3.jpg

The inspiration for this bike is somewhat out there... #HOP is a twitter hashtag made famous by Deion Sanders aka Primetime. It stands for Hold On Playa; Basically anytime you see something completley out there that lacks explanation H.O.P. If you want some more examples check out http://www.holdonplaya.com or just watch this. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-g ... 5d81e2901c

Basically when I roll up I want people to say Hold On Playa... What is that? How'd you do that? I have some pretty good Ideas for this bike that will suit me including bobbed fenders, custom paint and wheels, a custom headbadge and more to come. When I pick the bike up and get going I will send more pics. If anyones going to the Swap in NJ next weekend hope to see you there maybe I can pick up some sweet parts...

Re: #HOP

Nice bike to start with, it looks like it's all as it was made, except for the tires. It's an Arkansas made AMF bike, maybe Roadmaster, probably before 1962, when they moved to Illinois. Does the decal on the seat tube say Arkansas? Does it have a headbadge? It might have been a dept store bike, I don't recognize the name on the chain guard.

seems to be a decal on the badge and the tube sticker cant get a good read on will have to check it out when I pick it up sunday. thanks for the info wildcat...

to find an AMF's year
1. find vin number
2. look at last 2 digits
3. put a 19 in front of those two digits,and you have the year.

now some times the vin number is beyond comprehesion.
i found one from the 70's that the last digit read 43.
hope yours makes sense 8) , most do.

blackdiamond said:
good to see an arkansas AMF in the build off!
i will be watching this one...from arkansas!

Thanks for the tips. I will do the razorbacks proud... So I guess im doing pretty good for only being $30 in to this so far?

blackdiamond said:
to find an AMF's year
1. find vin number
2. look at last 2 digits
3. put a 19 in front of those two digits,and you have the year.

now some times the vin number is beyond comprehesion.
i found one from the 70's that the last digit read 43.
hope yours makes sense 8) , most do.

I have an Arkansas AMF, it has to have been made between 1953 and 1962, that's when they made them there. The last 2 digits are 43, so it doesn't work for this bike. I haven't found a way to date them yet, this is the first I've heard of using the last 2 digits. I've been hunting down any info on these bikes for a long time. Where did you get the serial number info?

blackdiamond said:
some old papers from the AMF factory, and knowledge of some people that worked there.

Just picked the bike up today its sweet cant wait to get cracking on it. The SN on the rear dropout is U228839 and it doesnt look like a 1939. it has a bendix red stripe rear hub and peaked fenders. this help give an age? The set tube sticker does in fact say little rock.

Did not see anything on the wheels but aslong as we know pre 62 thats cool with me. Which also makes my bike 20yrs older than I am. I did get everything stripped and it fought me the whole way. A few bolts got cut off. F bombs were dropped and the blowtorch came out to get off the pedals that were fused on. I am working on a few mock up things at the moment which are coming along nice. I also got a few "new'" parts from the NJ swap meet this past weekend:

Yeah we are going Apes now!!!!
P1010525.jpg

Got a sweet headlight that will be getting the LED treatment...
P1010526.jpg

And how about a color preview.....
P1010527.jpg

Stay Tuned folks becase business is picking up....

Re: #HOP (Headlight Gut Job)

So I got to gutting my headlight and tackling some electrical work today. Keep in mind when I woke up this morning I had no clue what I was doing but a true Rat Rodder will find a way. It all started with removing the old contents then wire brushing the rust off of the headlight then priming. From there I found a sacrificial Flashlight to donate the LED's. After taking a look at it I had to take a run to Radio Shack to pick up a new battery holder and switch. Luckily I had the connectors, wire and soldering iron laying around the house already. After testing some things out and busting out the dremel to open up the lens we are now in business. All I need to do now is pull the guts again; spray down some flat balck, clear it, then put it all together again.
P1010528.jpg

P1010529.jpg

P1010530.jpg

#HOP (seat slam)

Managed to get the seat slammed with a little hardware store ingenuity.. I took a mending bracket and cut two plates out of it then took the stock seatpost and chopped a section out from it, added some nuts and bolts and BOOM seat is slammed and were sitting back and low how I want....
P1010532.jpg

P1010531.jpg

In other updates got all the paint stripped down and I am now priming. Good thing our boat shed is open for the month since it is now the paint booth since we cant catch a dry day here in Jersey....

Re: #HOP - Got Paint?

Was able to catch some nice weather and got the frame all painted. it came out nice considering this is my first multicolored paint job. I even tried my hand at some makeshift pinstriping. Its decent but long ways to go...

P1010534.jpg

P1010533.jpg

So far I have been having a blast on my own build and keeping up with everyone else here on the forums. Some great projects out there its been a real pleasure so far.

Re: #HOP - Got Paint?

slow rider said:
dame looks nice. but why did you not just buy some oem pip from the hard wear store? then bend it in to a layed back seat post. then polish the pip spray it with clear paint. or paint it the color of the frame

Wasnt quite sure on making that dramatic of a bend and the diamater issues....

Latest posts

Back