Hope4muscle - born in Japan growing muscle in Berlin 😉

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First thing this morning (after a cup of coffee) I solved the electricty riddle with the help of a friendly campground worker and after a quick trip to the lake I could finally do some work on the bike.
I got rid of the broken derailleur and mounted the one from the donour bike. As it is not indexed, I put the bearing ball I lost yesterday (yes, this morning I found it in the dirt) into the shifter to make the shifter itself indexed (sorry forgot to take pictures, might redo them later).
After some fine tuning the shifter worked really smooth and it looks a lot nicer than the original one.
IMG_20220606_152622752.jpg

IMG_20220606_152631350.jpg

Look for yourself, how nice it shifts:

After that I mounted the apehanger and tried to make the brakes work. Obiously tha cables were to short now and for the rear I had to piece something together. I also wanted to excange the brakes against something nicer, but had only two different front brakes. the one I have put onto the rear can stay, but the calipers of the front brake are too long.
IMG_20220606_155942961.jpg

IMG_20220606_163024201.jpg

IMG_20220606_163046016.jpg

But nevertheless I could make it rideabe again:

IMG_20220606_161718957.jpg

There is still a lot to do, but the owner seems to like my tweaks:
IMG_20220606_161738917.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you got the electrical issues sorted. You should come camping with me here in Ontario someday. I will personally guarantee that it will be impossible to blow a fuse, but the electro grill still won't work :giggle:
670-03607598en_Masterfile.jpg

Great to see that smile with the build!
The Japanese wormhole is pretty cool. It's always fun to go where the detective work on these bikes takes us.
I dig that workbench. I didn't realize it was made for a bike until I saw your build clamped up on it.

I dig that workbench. I didn't realize it was made for a bike until I saw your build clamped up on it.
I'm not completly sold to it yet, as it needs some more tweaking to accept different size forks, but it's better than nothing, as my old stand broke...

Almost forgot to tell about the friendly visitors we have today on the campground: a male and two female peacocks. They probably come from the "Pfaueninsel" (peacock island) a nature reserve not too far away from here on the lake Wannsee.
IMG_20220606_182640782.jpg

IMG_20220606_141403735.jpg

Saw the pics you posted from the Sternfarht ride! Looks like y'all had fun.
Here's hoping to seeing you in December if my Berlin/Dresden travel plans pan out.

Saw the pics you posted from the Sternfarht ride! Looks like y'all had fun.
Yeah, it was big fun and both boys did very well. It was their longest bike trip so far and I'm very proud of them! 👍
The older one even said, that next year he would like to do it with Hope4muscle. 😁
Here's hoping to seeing you in December if my Berlin/Dresden travel plans pan out.
We will meet for sure when you are here! I wouldn't miss the chance to meet another fellow ratrodder from the other side of the big pond! 😁

Last edited:
Nice little bike, I have a small collection of 20" wheel bike frames as they are often in better condition and much cheaper than bigger bikes here.

Ich MAG!
Ich will es fertig sehen.
Sorry, but I'll will keep you waiting a while longer. The end of the school year is approaching fast and as a teacher, there is lots of writing reports, grade meetings and end of year celebrations going on in my school (and also in the school of my kids).
Besides that I still have a shed build to finish and it's berry season...
This is yesterdays plucking:
Screenshot_20220626-211557.png

And today I spent the evening (it's midnight here now) cooking marmelade:
IMG_20220627_230225695.jpg

IMG_20220627_235502420.jpg

Dark gooseberry with blackcurrant on the left and and green gooseberry with banana on the right (my favorite).

So no progress in the last few weeks, but some little parts (nothing special: brake wires and stuff like that) I ordered arrived in the last few days, so there will happen some progress on this little bike!

My wife buys all kinds of berries, because there are many berry farms around us. As a matter of fact we live in the middle of fruit heaven as far as grapes and berries and tree fruit.

That’s because of 200 years of irrigation and farming. Otherwise it would just be cactus & mesquite. LOL

Also too hot for apples here. Lots of pears, plums, peaches, etc.

I do most of the cooking here, but I can’t imagine taking the time to make jam. I have a store half a mile from me where you can buy over 50 different kinds of jelly, jam and fruit preserves.

I’m more into barbecue. 😄 I will take a lot of time doing a barbecue.

Very nice......not much grows here but cactus and mesquite, lol......
Go up about 50 feet elevation from me and you start to get into the scrub oak and mesquite. You see a lot of prickly pair here.

My wife is an ornamental gardener and she grows cactus of various kinds for some ungodly reason.

I avoid cactus. I guess it takes all kinds in this world.

I used to live down near Phoenix where there were lots of giant saguaro. Now there’s a cactus. But I wouldn’t plant one!

I avoid cactus.
Nopal (from the Nahuatl word nohpalli [noʔˈpalːi] for the pads of the plant) is a common name in Spanish for Opuntia cacti (commonly referred to in English as prickly pear), as well as for its pads.

There are about 114 known species in Mexico,[1] where it is a common ingredient in numerous Mexican cuisine dishes. The nopal pads can be eaten raw or cooked, used in marmalades, soups, stews and salads, as well as being used for traditional medicine or as fodder for animals. Farmed nopales are most often of the species Opuntia ficus-indica or Opuntia matudae although the pads of almost all Opuntia species are edible. The other part of the nopal cactus that is edible is the fruit, called the tuna in Spanish and the "prickly pear" in English.

1656429804437.png

I’ve eaten pickled cactus and I’ve eaten cactus in various traditional dishes, but I don’t care for it. However that’s not my real objection to cactus.

I just don’t like getting stuck.

Latest posts

Back