Hot Rod Girl, DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Rod Girl update 7/24 - custom low profile headset

So today was my birthday. I got up to watch the Tour go up Mt. Ventoux, then drove my girlfriend to work. I had gone to get spokes for my rear wheel a couple days ago, but apparently I only counted out 35 spokes. so I headed down to the shop for 1 spoke. I used to work there, and they are cool, so I just tensioned it up there, and put the hub back together to finish the wheel. (I couldn't get the cog off of the driver, so I just left the hub dissassembled for lacing, and put it back together once the spokes were in.)
as usual with this kind of project, there were a million questions from everyone... so I said... you'll see it. I'll go home, slap the bike together, and ride back. So that's what I did:

After a quick test around the block, she's ready for her maiden voyage:
HRG003.jpg

... ya hate to see her go, but ya love to watch her leave :lol:

HRG001.jpg

after showing it off to the staff at Spoke N' Sport, I went to my girlfriend's work to show her, and get a smoothie.
HRG005.jpg

it rides pretty well, it's quite fast actually. the steering geometry is a little wacky, but with a little getting used to, it will be fine. at speed you can get into a tuck, hands on the curve of the bar, forearms resting on the grips, chest on knees. and yes, that takes you faster than a person should probably go on this kind of geometry :shock: . I tried pedaling at that speed (I'd estimate approximately 50 Km/h) but that's a bad idea..... slight the side to side motion of pedaling is amplified through the steering and gets a little hairy. The bike is a woman's bike after all, and I am too big for it as a result. It has never been my intention to make it fit me, but I think it will fit my girlfriend ok.

Overall I am very happy with the ride though, and it sure got a lot of stares. Also, thanks to this site, I knew to put oil on the braking surfaces of this kind of coaster. I was shocked the first time I hit the brakes and got a skid!

Happy birthday to me! 8)

now to break out the pinstriping kit, mount the fender and lights, and it's pretty much ready for the finished gallery.

I spent another few hours in the machine shop and made: bar ends, fender mounts, headlight mount, trimmed the rear light to fit the seatpost. I made threaded plugs for the bar itself, and they are welded in. the alloy outer part pinches the grip between, for kind of a lock on effect.

Barend.jpg

I spent a bit of time trying to pinstripe, but I wasn't 100% happy with the results. I will probably stripe this bike eventually, but for now my skills need work. I hadn't striped in a while, and forgot how hard it is, especially on small diameter tubing. Just because you're holding a Mack 00, doesn't make you a striper. Seriously, everyone should give Karfer a pat on the back, he did an awesome stripe job.

I also put some more holes in the seat frame, leaving 6 of them sized for snaps, which will hold on an optional seat cover. I couldn't cover up that cool lookin seat, but eventually I figure a person's gonna need some comfort, you know?

Well, I am calling it done! check out my Finished thread for the rest of the photos, and Happy Voting! It's gonna be a tough one. I think I may just have to make a short list, and then roll dice or something, I have too many favourites.

Latest posts

Back