Hot Rod Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this old Hawthorne back last December, just before Christmas and put it back for this build-off. It's a Snyder built bike from late '37 or early '38 going by frame details and the truss rods.
I have had 4 and a half months to plan and decide what to do with this bike and I still haven't got it all worked out. The styling of the bike reminds me of early motorcycles, so that is the primary direction I'm going, perhaps a cross between board tracker and bobber. I'll let the bike tell me.
Since the bike was a mess when I got it, I spent this afternoon just getting it rideable. Eventually it will have a Nexus speed, but today was an old Bendix single. I like the feel of the bike. This is gonna be fun.
The last half of the month I'll be away from home, so I won't be able to get a lot done until June. Shucks.

The day I got the bike
20211218_111721.jpg

Today
20220501_175912(1).jpg

Where to put the shifter?
20220501_173416.jpg

Parts is parts...
20220501_145113.jpg

Some inspiration...
ExcelsiorSuperX1925.jpg

monkey wards.png

Nice! Can't wait to see the finished build. I'm also building a (much newer) Hawthorne

Another Hawthorne build, I have done 2 previous and loved working with their frames. You will turn this into something cool, no doubt!
Really like the stem, I'd keep it. And your internally geared idea is another ++. RaT oN @handyandy1100 !

Killer starting point. I really dig that Monkey Wards logo you got and can't wait to see how you work out the details on that skiptooth chain driven shifter. :D

Had a heck of a time getting the 3 speed wheel installed. Had to spread the dropouts about 3/4". No big deal. The problem was it didn't open evenly on both sides. The dropouts lean to the left. I tried several different things to align the frame and finally gave up at close enough. I added a couple of washers between the front sprocket and cone. Not pretty but it rides very nice. New wheel and big tire also added to the nice ride.
20220503_200657.jpg

Next will be a hand shift lever...

I think I described the situation wrong. The whole rear triangle leaned to the left. The dropouts are parallel. I used a turn buckle to spread the dropouts, similar to using the all thread method. I cut a piece of 2x6 to fill the gap between the dropouts and laid the bike on its left side and stood on the frame and bounced a few times! Like I said, not perfect, but much better and I didn't want to tweak an 80+ year old frame any more. Or risk falling and breaking any 50+ year old bones! LOL
Untitled.png

I have a bike my son rides that the rear triangle ended up slightly twisted on at some point in its life. Bothers me to look at but it tracks straight and the tire clears all around just not the same distance from every bar

Tonight I broke out the angle grinder. Don't worry, I didn't use it on the frame. I bobbed a fender. Probably need a bit more notched out at the bottom.

20220504_190121.jpg

20220504_190146.jpg

Need some #8 or #10 machine screws to mount it. Going to have to make a hardware run soon!
Since I couldn't finish the fender I started something else. Doggone it, my can of PVC cement was dried up. Something else for the hardware run!
20220504_190215.jpg

20220504_190212.jpg

Need to put together a shopping list....

Handy, a man after my own heart. Hardware store runs, standing in the aisle, thinking...sometimes out loud. Today on my first trip to my local hardware store I needed to check out the drill bits, which are in an aisle that is chained off, because of the high priced drills and accessories. I stood for a minute, and one of the clerks, Rosie, looked over and said, " Oh, go ahead Lee, you can just unlock it and go on in."

Even in the big city, there is still some small town attitude in some places.

Got the rear fender mounted tonight. It needs some tweaking but it's looking good. Spacers are 1/2" pine circles cut with a hole saw. Not sure I want wood spacers. Need to figure out something else.
20220505_194129.jpg

20220505_194147.jpg
20220505_194221.jpg

Spent more time on my plumbing experiment too
20220505_194301.jpg

Gonna create a real unicorn! LOL

Inventive tank idea! What are the long clamped-on bolts on the front of the bars for again?

Latest posts

Back