How do you clean aluminum rims?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you clean very dirty and darkend aluminum rims and whitewall tyres?

Attachments

• IMG_20210610_133340.jpg
    IMG_20210610_133340.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 56
I believe steel wool and some fine sanding paper is the way to go.
Steel wool with some kind of cleaner is OK on whitewalls, but DO NOT use steel wool on aluminum. Clean aluminum with Scotch-Brite and non-abrasive cleaner. To do a good job, you probably should take the tires off the rims and clean them separately. Have fun!

Steel wool with some kind of cleaner is OK on whitewalls, but DO NOT use steel wool on aluminum. Clean aluminum with Scotch-Brite and non-abrasive cleaner. To do a good job, you probably should take the tires off the rims and clean them separately. Have fun!
Scratces and such are ok and it gives character, these are Rat Bikes, right. Sometimes even dirt is ok (for me anyway) but this case is a bit different.

Living in an appartement, sanding in the living or bedroom is not a good idea.
I do cleaning and sanding sitting under the shower, all dirt and dust flushes away and does not effect your lungs. You can have a footbath meanwhile, and you and your stuff will both come out clean!

Living in an appartement, sanding in the living or bedroom is not a good idea.
I do cleaning and sanding sitting under the shower, all dirt and dust flushes away and does not effect your lungs. You can have a footbath meanwhile, and you and your stuff will both come out clean!
With "stuff" you mean???

Steel wool would for sure leave scratches and that forces you to have another one or two steps with sanding in order to remove them. But for the deep oxidation and dirt i believe it saves more time then it takes away. Of course if the surface is not that bad using any abrasive is not needed and you can proceed with surface cleaning and light polishing only. Thanks for noticing that difference and making it clear :thumbsup:

It depends on the intended use for me.

Anything with rim brakes, I'll use fine steel wool because a buffed up surface helps rim brake shoes grab well and works rapidly.

For anything with a coaster brake I'll start with steel wool on the sidewalls or any oxidized areas. For finish, I have a polishing wheel and normally use a medium, then fine compound.

000 or 0000 Steel wool and WD-40 for the crusty stuff

Emory paper and Windex for the slightly "aged" or simply oxidized stuff

Polish for the stuff I want shiny. Some of the best product I've ever encountered

Latest posts

Back