How do you guys bust rust this bad?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BFTD - any progress on removing the seat post? If you go the hacksaw route, a handle similar to this might be helpful:
41MWrRBb4hS._AC_SL1000_.jpg

BFTD - any progress on removing the seat post? If you go the hacksaw route, a handle similar to this might be helpful:
View attachment 235681
I had no idea they even made hacksaws like that! I'll have to keep that in mind next time.

As for the seat post on the Phantom, it's not my problem anymore. I traded the frame for another, admittedly rougher, frame, and a NOS seat I'm itching to build a bike around. I would have loved to build the Black Phantom, but admitted, they're just not my kind of bikes, and if I'm building/painting a bike with black, white and red paint, I want to do it my own way.

Gently heat parts with propane torch , when warm , rub a paraffin candle over the parts, as you heat, the paraffin follows the heat . Keep feeding wax, like soldering . Oftentimes, a rusty, messy wax drips out, and the parts loosen . After cooling, Carb Cleaner and steel wool clean metal

Does anyone in your collunity do ' Schalating ? ' The process uses electricity to remove rust from metal , rust dissolves, sound metal unaffected . There used to be a place in Worcester that removed Automotive Body paint using this procedure . Another guess , ask your welding supplier who cleans the tanks ? Ugly tanks get stripped in Caustic Soda , and repainted . I know enviro laws take away the fun , but ' There's more than one America '

Latest posts

Back