How long can you get away with having a bike in the house?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm not talking about you freaks that keep bikes in the house all the time :p , you are out of this competition.

I'm talking about us guys that have specific places for bikes, like a shop, garage, basement, carport, etc... The type of people who wouldn't normally keep a bike in the house except for maybe taking a photo of a new bike or putting one together for a kid at Christmas.

So, if you fit into that category, how long can you get away with keeping a bike in the house before your spouse or significant other says enough is enough?

This is an experiment, so make up a reason to have a bike in the house and see how long you can keep it there, once again, this is intended for a house that does not normally have a bike in it.

Here is my example and ongoing experiment.

The first week of January I brought my 20" rat rod bike I'd just built for my son (and for a build-off) into the living room and told my wife it was there till I got some photos of it. It stayed in the living room for about a week or a week and a half until I brought my fixed gear bike in the house one night to put some stickers on it after my wife had gone to bed. I move the 20" bike out and that morning the fixie was in it's place in the living room, right in front of the fireplace. Since then my wife has moved the fixie into the dining room (open to the living room) so that she could use the fireplace, I have since removed the front wheel to replace a tube, so now the bike is in pieces in the dining room and she still isn't saying anything, this is all part of my plan, because when she says something is the point I will actually start to replace the tube, giving me a few more days.

This is my experiment and I'm shooting for a month... getting close.

Who's in? Bring a bike in the house tonight!

1 day maximum. Luckily i got the garage and the basement.

yoothgeye said:
I'm not talking about you freaks that keep bikes in the house all the time :p , you are out of this competition.

I'm talking about us guys that have specific places for bikes, like a shop, garage, basement, carport, etc... The type of people who wouldn't normally keep a bike in the house except for maybe taking a photo of a new bike or putting one together for a kid at Christmas.

So, if you fit into that category, how long can you get away with keeping a bike in the house before your spouse or significant other says enough is enough?

This is an experiment, so make up a reason to have a bike in the house and see how long you can keep it there, once again, this is intended for a house that does not normally have a bike in it.

Here is my example and ongoing experiment.

The first week of January I brought my 20" rat rod bike I'd just built for my son (and for a build-off) into the living room and told my wife it was there till I got some photos of it. It stayed in the living room for about a week or a week and a half until I brought my fixed gear bike in the house one night to put some stickers on it after my wife had gone to bed. I move the 20" bike out and that morning the fixie was in it's place in the living room, right in front of the fireplace. Since then my wife has moved the fixie into the dining room (open to the living room) so that she could use the fireplace, I have since removed the front wheel to replace a tube, so now the bike is in pieces in the dining room and she still isn't saying anything, this is all part of my plan, because when she says something is the point I will actually start to replace the tube, giving me a few more days.

This is my experiment and I'm shooting for a month... getting close.

Who's in? Bring a bike in the house tonight!
Don't you know we aren't suppossed to draw attention to this hobby. We've got to run in stealth mode, fly under the radar. Do U want us to get caught by our wives? Out of sight, out of mind. Like waving raw meat at the wolves!!!

1918 Ranger

1918 Ranger said:
Don't you know we aren't suppossed to draw attention to this hobby. We've got to run in stealth mode, fly under the radar. Do U want us to get caught by our wives? Out of sight, out of mind. Like waving raw meat at the wolves!!!

I like to live on the wild side. :lol:

We Normally keep Her bike in the back room,Its the only one that is completely painted. She doesn't want it to get scratched in the shed with the others so it lives in the house. I ride to work a couple times a week, Tuesday I just brought mine in when I got home. I haven't heard anything yet but Im sure by tomorrow I will hear about it. I may ride it again before she brings it up, then it wont be lurking in the shadows anymore . We'll see how this works out.

So far, a couple hours to overnight with a plausible excuse. :)

Stick the bike in the corner of the room behind a chair and paint the wall the same color as the bike and you can get away with it unnoticed for about a week! Then when she notices and gripes ... errr... I mean comments about it, you add a basket for her catalogs and put a few vintage books on the rear rack! And when that fails to completely satisfy her you tell a little fib about how much $$$ someone from RRB offered you for just the seat! Before you know it she's dusting the thing and accessorizing it with her Mom's old skates! :lol:
ElginGirlsBike049.jpg

I guess I'm out, then. While I normally keep them in the basement or garage, there's nothing or no one to stop me from having them in the house. In fact, just before Christmas I had one in almost every room... :mrgreen:

If I have a reason to have a bike in the house, then it is coming in the house...My wife complains, but she knows it doesn't do any good. :lol: :lol: :lol: In the winter, my carbon road bike is always in the office on the trainer.

I think she complains more in the summer when I am out riding every day. I get off work, get on my bike and get home around dark.

We had a serious sounding heavy hail, tornado alert last spring, may have been April. I brought in three bikes from the garage in order to garage my wife's car. Two of them were there through the first part of August as we took a trip to Alaska towards the end of July. The last one survived until first part of November. We have been married along time, otherwise that's probably pushing the limit. They were clean pristine bikes.

Pudge, good going. I like that plan. A bike can be a nice piece of art inside the house.

I was able to keep my bikes in the house for a few weeks at a time before my baby was born. Now that my girl can walk I should put one in here. As a matter of fact I'll update with a pic.:grin:

ubenyde5.jpg

My wife loves me having this hobby, but she doesn't love it enough to keep the bikes inside. Instead of her asking me to remove the bike from inside the house, she will move it out before I get home from work.

It's so funny that this came up!! I brought a bike in from the garage last night and placed it in the front room for an overnight stay partly as a joke and partly to see if she'd say thing. She didn't and I removed it this morning. After this topic coming up, I might try it again for a little longer. She is not one to allow this sorta thing so it's pretty amazing that she didn't say anything!

Excellent! Do you have a hypothesis?

It snowed here today, a good bit, the kids have been out playing in it a couple times and right now the floor in the living room is covered with towels and wet snow clothes drying in front of the fire place. This mess should keep the heat off of the fixie for a while.

I guess i'm out because there is usually one or two bikes just inside the door to the apartment, which is down from the 5 or 6 that were in here until I got a storage unit last year. Last week I had the newest bike upside down in the living room and was checking the grease on the front sprocket when the roommate came back and the first words out of her mouth were "Dear god what are you doing now?" haha

Shaggy

I have had my Dyno sitting in my living room for almost a month. I am just waiting for the weather to get better to make some room in my shed.
Here she is with some tires waiting to go on.

dyga4u9a.jpg

Heck I have had my 1/5 scale Rc sitting in pieces for over a year in my dinning room.

natahuza.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back