HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR SALT AND VINeGAR TO RUST CHROME??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOWDY HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR SALT AND vinegar TO RUST CHROME AND IS THERE A SPECIAL WAY TO APPLY IT :?: :?:

Re: HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR SALT AND VINGER TO RUST CHROME??

Just mix it together and brush it onto the chrome. Leave it until it looks like you want it to. Times are going to vary depending on how much rust you want, how well the parts are plated, etc. It works much faster than leaving it outside, though. I can't see it taking more than a day or 2 to start seeing some results.

Re: HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR SALT AND VINGER TO RUST CHROME??

johnny nightwolf said:
Just mix it together and brush it onto the chrome. Leave it until it looks like you want it to. Times are going to vary depending on how much rust you want, how well the parts are plated, etc. It works much faster than leaving it outside, though. I can't see it taking more than a day or 2 to start seeing some results.
thanks i did not no it takes that long i have been testing it on a chrome fendar i had kicking around the garage i will half to sit the bowl some where for a while i used a lot of salt in a bowl of a lot of vinegar thanks again grace and peace micah

I know this topic is kinda old but I wanted to try this and was wondering if this will work on bare metal(not chrome). If not does anyone know how to "rust" bare metal? Thanks.

bare metal is easy. Spray it with white vinegar ( the salt is optional) and let it dry. Then spray it down with a water hose. You should start seeing results within a few minutes. You can repeat the process a couple of times, and will get a thin layer of rust. But in a couple of days it will grow on its own, and will get moderately thick.

To stop the rust process I'd rinse the part with water and let it completly dry,then spray it with dull/satin clear coat.

I found a simple way to "seal" the rust in after I did the salt & vinegar trick was to use some lovely (and probably a little pricier) "Polyglaze" car wash, the type that you wash with and then chamois off and then dry polish with a clean towling cloth, or approved similar :wink: It's not a polish or wax or anything, but it seems to keep the patina on while letting you touch it without getting rusty fingers. Hope this helps :mrgreen:

anyone know if this method will rust through clear enamal paint? I am thinking about making a metal sign and stenciling my image with clear paint and the spraying it with vinegar and letting the bare metal that wasn't sprayed with the clear rust leaving the stenciled image shiny. think it will work?

anyone know if this method will rust through clear enamal paint? I am thinking about making a metal sign and stenciling my image with clear paint and the spraying it with vinegar and letting the bare metal that wasn't sprayed with the clear rust leaving the stenciled image shiny. think it will work?
6year latter :giggle:... curious to know to :39:, that would be nice on a bike frame to ... you could always rust it all and put a vinyl or tape over it leaving only the letters and sand blast the letters to bare metal and clear over it

Latest posts

Back