How long to let BLO set?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question regarding setting time for a coat of BLO.
Should I wait 1 day between coats or is 3-4 hours in the tropical sunshine enough?
I am planning one wet sanding with 800 grit in between the two coats and after the second.
Sound right so far?
Thanks and I really appreciate all the help on this forum!

Instant Rust Am.JPG

This is what I am working with, stripped and re-rusted.
It's going to be a grungy thing, but I'm hoping the BLO will help it come together and make it look just a teeny bit artsy as well as crust punk rat!

I'm in the humid southeast US and I let mine sit for about a day or two. Might be overkill and opinions may vary. Long enough until it's has no tack left if you check an inconspicuous spot like under the BB or something

I'm in the humid southeast US and I let mine sit for about a day or two. Might be overkill and opinions may vary. Long enough until it's has no tack left if you check an inconspicuous spot like under the BB or something
It's quite humid here as well, and I just tested as you suggested and it is still a bit tacky after 21 hrs.
I'll give it another day or 2.
Thanks!

A bit of sunlight will speed it along.
As well as a bit of terps or thinner mixed in.
I usually cut the first layer a good bit, 50/50 or more, so it soaks in to the places I can’t see and it seems to harden up more quickly.
I'll cut it next time I do a project like this. I'm going to leave it for another day or two to let it set properly.
Thanks!

Looks like it will be 72 hours between coats.
Still a little tacky in a couple of spots at 49 hrs.
Any suggestions regarding sanding after the coat dries?
I've read that it is not needed, but I'd love some feedback on this.
I'd hate mess it up at this point.

Due to various factors, money became a big issue last month and I've been unable to put the bike back together yet. I am thinking of adding a few more coats of BLO until the cash flow improves.
I have 4 coats on now. Can you add too many coats of this stuff?
Thanks in advance!
IMG_2205.JPG
IMG_2204.JPG

This is just a mock up to see what it will look like. I'll make a build thread when I actually have it together sometime in the future.

Latest posts

Back