How many sold a bike but then had the chance to buy back

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had to sell lockdown to make some money and as it was the most involved and fabricated build I've ever done it was a regret to sell, well I seen the owner selling it so done a deal with my daughter who owed me money, so it ended up being about the same price that she owed me to buy it back, I will be doing a 5 hour round trip next week to bring home "Lockdown", anyone else regretted selling a bike and managed to buy it back?
IMG_20200422_133114.jpg

I only have so much room. When I find a new bike I like more I give one away, throw it away or strip it for parts. Out of many hundreds I have owned I only recall selling five. I also sold two frames, here on RRB. Can’t sell a old 30s frame here. Many of my excess go to the volunteer fire department scrap drive. You really can’t sell a ratty bike here for much or at all. Pretty much everyone wants a pristine 60s cruiser for cheap or free. I’m the only one I know of that tries to recycle and save rusty old bikes. I recently gave a 60s mens Hiawatha full size cruiser to a raffle and gave my buddy a 24 inch Hiawatha double top tube for his grandson to ride. A local bike shop gave them to me. They are too new to interest me. The full size one was in real good shape and the small one was almost as nice but was missing a front wheel. I had a wheel and used that, then gave it away. I sometimes find something like a Schwinn women's bike that has missing parts or a bad seat. I replace the parts from my junk and give them away.

Well, that's what happened to me recently. I've brought a nice Project 346 ladies cruiser to Poznan where i live from Haarlem, the Netherlands back in 2017. It was really difficult to sell for some reason, so after a few month i ended up selling it to a girl i knew for a really low sum of money. After about 4 years i saw it for sale again, bikes like that are really easy to spot. She became a mom and had no time to maintain it, so it ended up neglected. I bought it back for a third of a sum she paid. It was unfortunately in quite bad condition, but i've parted it out and earned some money on it and also have aquired some cool and rare parts for myself to use. And a frame is now left to be converted into a stretch cruiser in a similar fashion like my Good Old Days cruiser. By the way, the bike was same color, so i got those nice fenders off it to put on the Good Old Days.
To sum it up - i am more than happy that i had this opportunity to buy it back and give it now a third life :)

Thankfully I have a pretty decently sized group of local buddies who are into similar things as I am. I usually propose a sale to the group at "friend price" with the clause that I should get first right of refusal should they sell it. I've bought and sold trucks, bikes and motorcycles within this group and we do it often. My wife jokes that we're all "Eskimo brothers". I hope she's referring to the items bought and sold! Hmmm, I should ask her to elaborate...

Latest posts

Back