How much is a Sears Spaceliner that I won worth?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do classic car restoration for a living and have never heard of clearing over chrome? I'm not doubting you but why would you clear over chrome when it's already durable? I HAVE cleared over polished aluminum,brass, and polished potmetal, but it does give it a little hazy of a finish. I've only done this for customers who don't want the hassle of repolishing down the road. Back to the bikes though, I have an AMF skylark which is completely chrome just like a spaceliner and it didn't have any clear on it? It's posted in the for sale ads and it just sold btw.

Whoa whoa whoa, there's no need to go at a Spaceliner frame with a wire wheel.
I have a full chrome Schwinn 11.8 lightweight from 1980. It was indeed common practice for bike mfg's to put a clear over chrome, but over time it dulls and yellows and looks like poo.
Jut disassemble the frame and use the Strip Kleen stripper spray can available anywhere. It is not like stripping the paint off a bike frame. The clear coat peels up instantly and can be wiped off clean and smooth with paper towels. IT REALLY IS EASY and NOT messy. Of all the grungy stuff we do with bikes this method was incredibly easy and pain free.

Also, to stay on topic there was a VERY nice Spaceliner on Ebay 3 weeks ago that sold for $91.50. Somebody straight up stole that thing. I was not present for bidding but if I had known I could have gotten it for that I would have gladly driven the 900 miles (one way) to pick it up.

I have to agree with Banker rat on this. I stripped one of my chrome Flightliner frames, and the only thing that worked was a brass wire wheel. Tuff stuff! I hope someone snatches up that sweet Spaceliner whole, hate to see it parted! Not often that you see one that has all the pieces there! And I wish they'd raffle off old bikes like that around here! :lol: -Adam

Hey Guys

I need to get that clear coat off my Spaceliner. The wire wheel method; is that a brass wire wheel and do you lubricate it with some lightweight oil ?

I used a brass brush to remove the rust and that worked well.

The Stripper method sounds easy enough, perhaps I'll try that first.

Thanks, John

Ok everyone... Slight problem on the steel wool regardless of how fine the grades are :) On Spaceliners there is an extremely durable coating of clear coat over the chrome which will damage the coating. Thats the bad news... the good news is that if you want the bike to glow like its original state, you have to get that clear coating off. That takes more then steel wool. The chrome on the Spaceliner is wicked durable and will take a sledgehammer to break through it. Here is what I recommend based on personal experience from Spaceliners I have restored. A wire wheel on a drill. Ya I know everyone is saying thats insane! I thought that too when I started it.... The clear coat comes off easily and the chrome doesnt as much as have fine lines in it after the wire wheel. Here are a few pics of Spaceliners I have that I have used this method with restoring. When I got these Gems they were a total mess!!
IMG_8455.jpg

IMG_8454.jpg

IMG_8461.jpg

IMG_8456.jpg

IMG_8445.jpg
Hi where are you located, I have a Spaceliner that needs to be restored because I like the look of it and wants to ride it for myself? Thanks

Hey Guys

I need to get that clear coat off my Spaceliner. The wire wheel method; is that a brass wire wheel and do you lubricate it with some lightweight oil ?

I used a brass brush to remove the rust and that worked well.

The Stripper method sounds easy enough, perhaps I'll try that first.

Thanks, John
I ended up using the brass wire wheel AND paint stripper to get the clear coat off my Spaceliner.

Latest posts

Back