How often do you ride?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tbh, I didn't know about that old Schwinn, I thought you were losing it. I have a more modern Runabout in the garage, wasn't sure what you had in mind
View attachment 167862
Runabout...

vintage-1968-schwinn-runabout-speed_1_337f49cf8c9f8edb62fabf5a9e2342a8.jpg

...I wouldn't be caught in plaid, however :grin: .

it's been a month since I've ridden and I can't wait till doc gives me the ok to get back to it. Neighborhood easy walks are not cutting it. I ride 3-4 times per week, anywhere from 1500-2300 miles per year in recent years. Never in plaid, but I would.

it's been a month since I've ridden and I can't wait till doc gives me the ok to get back to it. Neighborhood easy walks are not cutting it. I ride 3-4 times per week, anywhere from 1500-2300 miles per year in recent years. Never in plaid, but I would.
Yeah, I had a freak bike wreck the last week of October 2020, and broke my foot in two places. Not only did we have two more weeks of mild, sunny weather, but we had the best foliage we've seen around here in years. All I could do was hobble to and from the mailbox for a solid month, and cry when I looked at the foliage and scenery photos people around here were posting online or sending to the TV stations. Autumn is my absolute favorite time for long bike rides in the woods. And yes, I've ridden with a plaid shirt. If I tried wearing Lycra it wouldn't be pretty; trust me on that one. :D

You’re killing me bro!
Gotta ride here!
View attachment 168524
It was a good trip. You can honestly cover the whole island in about 90 minutes since almost half is gated community. (Trust me, I tried several routes to get in, and they keep a pretty good eye on it.) The rest is 2 or 3 main paved roads and the rest are an amalgam of gravel, and fine almost silt like sand roads. Great for golf carts and my bike, but probably a chore on a beach cruiser

Still worth a trip to say you've done it. Honestly I have far more fun riding down at Jekyll island

when I have days off work. I ride 10 miles or more. I have done 75 miles and a 100miles on bicycles but that's getting harder to find time and energy the older I get.
The most I've done is 50 a couple of times. I've harbored the fantasy of doing a Century ride, but I'm not sure I have it in me, and at 62+, I'm not getting any younger. The majority of my rides are 20 or less.

I'm pretty certain I've read that some of you ride daily. If so, are they long-ish (10+ miles) or shorter? When I retired not quite 2 years ago, I came out of the gate fast, riding as much as 6 days a week. Though I was enjoying myself, it was hard to sustain that pace. Eventually I dropped off, and now it's once or twice a week. This time of year I'm busy with yard work for me and my mom, so I feel fortunate if I get out 3 times. I live in a small, land-locked subdivision, where a lap around the entire neighborhood is only 6/10 of a mile, and I really don't like mixing with vehicular traffic. Sometimes the neighborhood is quiet, but there's often a lot of delivery traffic, and a few people don't pay the slightest attention when entering/exiting driveways, or worse, they see me and pull out anyway. The road onto which our street opens is a busy secondary two-lane with narrow shoulders. It seems many people take it as a personal challenge to see how much they can exceed the 40mph limit. So basically, if I want to ride, I have to load up a bike and take it somewhere else. You folk have seen my rail trail posts, but the nearest to me is about an hour away. I've tried riding the trails of various local parks, but mountain biking is really not my cup of tea.

I'm trying to think of creative ways to get out on my bike more. Sometimes I do just go out and spin around the neighborhood for 30 minutes or so. Sometimes I go to a nearby small river town and cruise the back streets, but even there I've had a couple close calls with vehicular traffic. I know we all deal with different terrain and population densities, but I'm curious to hear how other people maximize their saddle time.
depends most rides now do to time off work. only 5 / 10 miles to beach. but some time 50 miles or more.
DSC01127.JPG

DSC01129.JPG
DSC01128.JPG

Last edited:
The most I've done is 50 a couple of times. I've harbored the fantasy of doing a Century ride, but I'm not sure I have it in me, and at 62+, I'm not getting any younger. The majority of my rides are 20 or less.
that's why you should do it now. while we still can. speaking of long rides. t high time I pedal to San Diego again. that was fun

Latest posts

Back