How to get started with ebike build?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just picked up the wheelset and front and hub motors from the Uber Jump rideshare bikes they're scrapping.
You can get em here if you're also interested https://jag35.com/collections/elect...-electric-bike-wheel-tire-w-tektro-disk-break

It's a bafang 250w 36v front hub motor.
Specifically model DC36V BLDC A2, but I'm not finding much info on it. Seems like it's a mostly commercial model

So, what else that's ebike specific do I need, to get going? (excluding the regular bike things)

I assume, battery, speed controller, display, throttle, what else? any recommendations on those things for this motor?

I'm at level 0 when it comes to building ebikes.
1614378579767.png

1614378593298.png

Sometimes I am reluctant to redirect readers here to another ( E-Bike ) forum . I will send Verrt a private message to a link to the answers to his question . I could also post it if the moderators feel that would be in keeping with the forum way of discussion.

I've seen many kits out there, but have no background using or working with them. Most of the builds I read about are very technical and don't answer my simple questions or they have too many different scenarios to make a choice. I just want to bolt on a motor with battery and go without needing a schematic and a big wallet.
I'd like to follow this thread and get some insight on the electric systems.

Thanks for the link @clamdigger

I've seen many kits out there, but have no background using or working with them. Most of the builds I read about are very technical and don't answer my simple questions or they have too many different scenarios to make a choice. I just want to bolt on a motor with battery and go without needing a schematic and a big wallet.
I'd like to follow this thread and get some insight on the electric systems.

I'm with you, I was going to start my ebike learning curve with a bafang mid drive kit, but then this deal game up, was too good to pass.

As I learn stuff, and run into problems I'll keep posting here, hopefully it will be useful to other ebike noobs.

And hopefully others will post their knowledge here too.

From a reliability standpoint, these are great. I spent a couple years on a mega project starting with a motor. Click my profile and you can find the blog post I write about the process. It didn’t end well:)

You will need a controller, charger, batteries and a display of some sort to gauge battery capacity.

My advice: Look up that motor at an e-bike seller and stick hard to the specific items recommended for the motor. Any deviation will cause problems (I guarantee) and you’ll wind up

When you start with a "kit " the motor , and controller are presumed to be plug and play compatible. When you are separately sourcing a controller there is a challenge as to getting the correct connections of the controller phase wires & hall sensor wires to the corresponding motor wires. Look for a controller that has " self learning " procedure. If the controller does not have this it will be necessary to install a meter to measure current flow ( Amps ) between the battery and the controller. The "Watts-Up " meter has been cloned, and can be used carefully . Look for one that has a backlit display. The goal is smooth forward motor rotation with very low ( usually 1 to 2 Amps ) current draw with the wheel in the air, and the throttle just barely turned . A google search, and a youtube search should find more info, now that you know what you are looking for.

Wheelset arrived. Still a good deal, but also pretty disappointing.

Just the wheels, zero mounting hardware.

Packaged badly, just shoved into soft shipping bags, no box, no padding. Both bags were split open. So if any hardware was included it's long gone.

20210305_153345.jpg

I understand they were used, but the condition is more beat up than I expected. Don't plan on putting these on a "nice" build of you get them.

20210305_153828.jpg

They're solid, but the spokes will need to be replaced sooner than I had planned (which was never).

Some people have reported they got Schwalbe tires, some got Kenda. I got one of each... so that's annoying.

Lot of parts missing for the IGH. Will pretty much need to source everything here.
20210307_122040.jpg

So for $150 shipped, I think it was an ok deal. But not as good as I was hoping.

Hope this info helps anyone else decide of they want any of these wheels.

Attachments

• 20210305_153828.jpg
    20210305_153828.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 92
Wheelset arrived. Still a good deal, but also pretty disappointing.

Just the wheels, zero mounting hardware.

Packaged badly, just shoved into soft shipping bags, no box, no padding. Both bags were split open. So if any hardware was included it's long gone.

View attachment 152320

I understand they were used, but the condition is more beat up than I expected. Don't plan on putting these on a "nice" build of you get them.

View attachment 152321
They're solid, but the spokes will need to be replaced sooner than I had planned (which was never).

Some people have reported they got Schwalbe tires, some got Kenda. I got one of each... so that's annoying.

Lot of parts missing for the IGH. Will pretty much need to source everything here.
View attachment 152323

So for $150 shipped, I think it was an ok deal. But not as good as I was hoping.

Hope this info helps anyone else decide of they want any of these wheels.
Yeah, I bought one of the rear wheels for my gas bike build and it was the same story: just thrown into a bag. Mine wasn't missing as many parts though, so I guess it's just luck of the draw as far as that goes. They were also nice enough to include about four inches of brake cable that they'd cut off and left attached to the actuator arm.

I spent some time looking and found this website, which looks like it should have most of what you need to put it back together, along with a shifter, cable, and indicator chain. This specific hub takes the Mark IV chain, so watch out for that.

https://performancebike.com

Last edited:
It will be difficult but I think building your own e-bike can be more affordable than buying one, especially with most good e-bikes costing between $1,400 and $3,000. The really cheap kits can be had for around $100 or more. Recently, a friend of mine bought an inexpensive bike that cost up to $1000. He tells me that this bike is really of excellent quality, although I don't really believe him because I don't understand how a good bike can cost so cheap. I'll meet him tomorrow and ride this bike. I even wonder if it's really as good as my friend describes it.

Last edited:
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

:39:

Hi @Verrt. I have done 2 dillenger conversions which i believe may have the same hub motor. upload a pic of the cable socket showing the pins and I’ll compare it. That will give you an idea of the other parts you need and you might be able to find a cheap parts bike that was converted previously with a dillenger kit. Check out the spares section on dillengerelectricbikes.

Hi @Verrt. I have done 2 dillenger conversions which i believe may have the same hub motor. upload a pic of the cable socket showing the pins and I’ll compare it. That will give you an idea of the other parts you need and you might be able to find a cheap parts bike that was converted previously with a dillenger kit. Check out the spares section on dillengerelectricbikes.
Awsome thanks.

When I next go down to the basement I'll snap a pic and post it.

Latest posts

Back