How to remove schwinn occ freewheel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some assistance, restoring a occ chopper and cannot remove the freewheel.... here is a pic...
photokkk_zps9b031d40.jpg

I've tried a spanner tool and it wont budge, I don't want to destroy the hub.... any ideas??

Most freewheels use a either a splined tool ( there are several different ones) or one with the correct set of tabs that fit in the center of the freewheel. They unscrew off the hub counterclockwise. Wthout the tool with the correct spline or tabs wich ever your freewheel uses, it's going be hard to remove the freewheel.

Those two indents are the key on that type of freewheel. I find them really hard to remove in that way though, too easy for them to slip and round off the edges on those indents. If it is the hub you want to save but don't mind destroying the freewheel, you can tack weld the freewheel together to stop it spinning and remove it easily with a chain whip... :wink:

Luke.

Those 2 holes open that side so you can regrease the bearings and pack and unpack the bearings so removing that will not really do you any good

I'd actually like to know how to do this correctly too, I know some people on here have done it before. I have the two hole spanner, and it appears to just take off the cover, as said above. Is that the first step in removing the freewheel, or can the whole thing be removed in one piece?

Sadly some parts are made to not be removed that way if it breaks you have to go back to the one company that makes it. I dealt with a lot of that drama when i was working at the bike shop but my trick was usually tack welds then a piece of chain and spin it off

oil on the threads, so it soaks into the hub threads/freewheel threads

get a chisel, not a sharp wood working chisel. Ive got chisels that are about the size of a finger. Put the chisel point in one of the dot like holes. probably at a 45 degree angle. Put the wheel against something solid, so it don't move. I usually put it beside the door frame. hit the chisel with a good hammer blow. ANTICLOCKWISE. the way the freewheel goes when its clicking. Maybe one good thump will free it.

A single speed cog might have had a lot of torque going thru it. So might not come off.

be careful when doing this. Might hurt yourself, or the bike parts, or tools.

Ive tried this on Plastic mag wheels. It don't work as the wheel flexes. Even using the freewheel remover tool doesn't work on the mags I have.

The freewheel is a total loss if you need it removed. You need to unscrew the the outer bearing adjusting plate with a pin tool or a punch and hammer. Then you remove the cog, bearings, springs, and pawls. Then just the body will be left on the hub. Clamp the remaining freewheel body tightly in a vise and remove the body by turning the wheel. Then throw it all in the trash. Make sure your next freewheel has removal notches.

c.p.odom said:
...unscrew the the outer bearing adjusting plate with a pin tool or a punch and hammer. Then you remove the cog, bearings, springs, and pawls. Then just the body will be left on the hub. Clamp the remaining freewheel body tightly in a vise and remove the body by turning the wheel. Then throw it all in the trash. Make sure your next freewheel has removal notches.

+1

sadly, FWs like that are also showing up on bike shop bikes... :x

Latest posts

Back