HP Snyder Peerless ID

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The springer looks like it was a replacement. There's a spacer or big washer at the crown that looks a little offset and the top bearing looks open, possibly the wrong cone nut. If you pull them off, check the color on the fork tube and the inside of the frame head tube to see if they are a match.
Do you have a pic of the cleaned up BB numbers?

The springer looks like it was a replacement. There's a spacer or big washer at the crown that looks a little offset and the top bearing looks open, possibly the wrong cone nut. If you pull them off, check the color on the fork tube and the inside of the frame head tube to see if they are a match.
Do you have a pic of the cleaned up BB numbers?
Thanks, Wildcat. I agree that the springer probably isn't original. However, I have seen this type fork on some 50s Rollfast bikes. I think that the original owner really liked their bike and did what they needed to do to keep it rolling. Here's the best I can do with the bottom bracket. You can just see bits of the original number peeking out from under the restamped #. I did find another bike on the Rollfast FB group that had a similar serial # ending in X that appeared to be stamped over the original #. Anyway, I'm actually more interested as to which rims are original, the drop center front or the flat profile rear.
20211009_085045.jpg

My guess is it's a 41. I can see the middle of an "H" between the 4 and 1. It can't be any other letter or number they used. That would be part of the E H, Michigan City stamp. Then I see the front of a "4" just ahead of the big stamped 4. No other number has that pointy shape. Ahead of that could be a "1" or a "0", the reverse code for 41 and 40. A "2" would be a 1942, but those frames had a curvy downtube and no dropout ears. I think it's a "1" but I would need to wire brush it to be sure. Here's what my 42 looked like:
DSCI0020 - Copy.JPG

My guess is it's a 41. I can see the middle of an "H" between the 4 and 1. It can't be any other letter or number they used. That would be part of the E H, Michigan City stamp. Then I see the front of a "4" just ahead of the big stamped 4. No other number has that pointy shape. Ahead of that could be a "1" or a "0", the reverse code for 41 and 40. A "2" would be a 1942, but those frames had a curvy downtube and no dropout ears. I think it's a "1" but I would need to wire brush it to be sure. Here's what my 42 looked like:
View attachment 175082
Makes sense. You went all CSI on this one. I hope you don't ask for a DNA sample!

Latest posts

Back