Hub Width Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking at hubs to build a wheel and most hubs that I see, seem to be 135mm. I measured my rear dropout and it only measured 112mm. Will I cause any damage just spreading the drop out to squeeze the wheel in there? (I would be using the, Grip-it and Rip-it technique) Will my drive line be out of wack?

Thanks

135mm is mostly for Mountain Bikes. If you want a freewheel hub look at BMX hubs, but then you need rim brakes. A coaster brake hub fits perfect though.

cman said:
135mm is mostly for Mountain Bikes. If you want a freewheel hub look at BMX hubs, but then you need rim brakes. A coaster brake hub fits perfect though.

That's the thing. I'm trying to get a hub with disc in that 112mm size. Ild like to have free wheel with disc in the rear. Just not sure how to achieve this

If it was a smaller jump, say 130mm (modern road bike) to 135mm (modern MTB) you'd be able to "cold set" (bend) the frame so the wider wheel fitted, or just sprung the frame open to fit the wheel. But 112mm to 135mm is rather a large jump.
Had you thought how to mount the disc caliper on the frame? A good framebuilder could do this for you.

chris667 said:
If it was a smaller jump, say 130mm (modern road bike) to 135mm (modern MTB) you'd be able to "cold set" (bend) the frame so the wider wheel fitted, or just sprung the frame open to fit the wheel. But 112mm to 135mm is rather a large jump.
Had you thought how to mount the disc caliper on the frame? A good framebuilder could do this for you.

I found an adapter that fits in the drop out. I figure for my application it should work fine.

Larry said:
Flip-flop hub with a thread on disc or a threaded disc adapter.

I know that there are flip flop hubs for single speed MTB, but is there Flip Flop for BMX?

There are a ton of flip flop bmx hubs, I might even have one laying around I can give you.

necessaryevil said:
There are a ton of flip flop bmx hubs, I might even have one laying around I can give you.

make it chrome to match the front hub for me please lol

oh and 36h

Spokes said:
necessaryevil said:

make it chrome to match the front hub for me please lol

oh and 36h
Jeez, beggers can't be choosers :lol: I'll see what I've got.

Heres a weld on disc brake adapter, from gaerlan.com. $14.95.

diskmt.gif

The hub I have is a 48. Go to the bike shop and he'll give you a hub for a few bucks.

Latest posts

Back