Huff the mighty…..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m now at the reassembly stage and it is at this point I usually think of a good name for the project…. Since it’s a Huffy frame and I’m finding inspiration from pictures of old Harleys, I will start calling it the “Huffy Davidson”!
97A54E58-5B33-4627-81F4-0EF707ED9662.jpeg

I’m not sure it will show up in these photos, but I liked the faded look of the army green on the tops of the tubes and the darker olive green on the side and bottoms so I repainted to tops army green and let them fade into each other.
3B929285-3CBB-4A33-8876-C5797F90F631.jpeg

I’m now at the reassembly stage and it is at this point I usually think of a good name for the project…. Since it’s a Huffy frame and I’m finding inspiration from pictures of old Harleys, I will start calling it the “Huffy Davidson”!View attachment 163289
I’m not sure it will show up in these photos, but I liked the faded look of the army green on the tops of the tubes and the darker olive green on the side and bottoms so I repainted to tops army green and let them fade into each other. View attachment 163290
The painting scheme looks awesome!
Why won't you try to put the springer crown a bit lower on the steerer tube though? So the crown travel would be parallel to the ground.

Thanks Starnger! The springer came off a bike that had a longer head tube. I mounted it this way to keep the crown parallel to the bearing races without any load on them. If I were to mount the crown lower I think the spring would be somewhat bias to one side and wouldn’t want to compress properly. I could be totally wrong on this as I don’t know much about them. 🤔 it would look better….I think I’ll try it!

I when back to the shed and looked at the springer, it does tilt downward and I am going to take it back apart and correct the angles as Starnger suggested. I bought a set of hand grips off eBay and went to install them and discovered that one was for a 7/8 inch bar while the other was for a 1 inch bar! Hopefully I can get this resolved quickly and post the final pictures!
01013195-990F-4752-B1A7-1DAC2C6A7422.jpeg
C253A28B-8119-4DC6-B434-9AB1222FDE87.jpeg

I when back to the shed and looked at the springer, it does tilt downward and I am going to take it back apart and correct the angles as Starnger suggested. I bought a set of hand grips off eBay and went to install them and discovered that one was for a 7/8 inch bar while the other was for a 1 inch bar! Hopefully I can get this resolved quickly and post the final pictures! View attachment 163348View attachment 163349
Typical motorcycle setup. 1" to fit over the throttle tube

Well this one is finished except for two small details. First is the grips, I didn’t realize the grips I ordered were for a motor cycle so one of the grips is too large. I have ordered another set and will use the two that fit a 7/8th bar. Second is the coaster brake strap. When I had this mocked up before the chain was not on the bike and I had the rear wheel farther forward. This allowed the strap for the brake lever to fit properly, but now it is binding because of the over sized rear dropout. My solution is going to be: weld a bracket with a slot to the frame to accommodate the brake lever while still allowing movement to tighten the chain. Then I will have to touch up the paint. More pictures to come soon, then I will post my ride video.

Paint looks amazing! Really dig the top / bottom fade ! Sounds like you've got a plan for the coaster brake tab. You could also use a piece of thin aluminum or steel and make a new strap to fit the over sized drop out.
Looking forward to the ride video!

Thanks Oddjob! Since I haven’t welded a tab on for the brake army’s, I may take up your suggestion about the strap! I really don’t want to take it apart, weld on it, retouch up the paint, clear coat…..

After looking around a bit, I found another coaster brake strap that was a bit longer that worked on the wider than normal dropouts.
999B612E-C9DF-4393-A2E9-F59166069C64.jpeg

Next I disassembled the springer and made a slight bend in the tab the fits over the top of the fork that the spring attaches to. The result is that the spring now points straight forward instead of down a bit.
9826DD3A-4966-4E17-BBAA-30AC9BA6AC53.jpeg

I hope I get the second set of grips in tomorrow so I can get some pictures. I think I know of a great backdrop for them!

Digging the paint scheme and the name change to Huffy Davidson.
This is looking sharp!

Digging the paint scheme and the name change to Huffy Davidson.
This is looking sharp!
Thanks! I really appreciate it! I checked the tracking on the second set of grips and have no faith they will be here tomorrow, so if it isn’t raining I will wrap the handle bar with tape, slide the other grip on and get the final pictures!

Latest posts

Back