Huff the mighty…..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you bend that tab for the springer?
I took the goose neck and handlebars off. Then removed the bolt off that holds the spring in place and removed the spring. This gave me enough room to grip the tab with a large adjustable wrench and gently bend it up a few degrees. Then a spacer I had under the part I just bent had to be removed and everything bolted back together with the spacer above the part I bent. It sounds confusingly but if you take a look at the parts you will see how bending this part allows it to sit lower on the stem which changes angle of the spring on the springer but keeps everything moving freely! I took it for a short ride in my bumpy yard when it was done and it worked like a champ!

Last edited:
Those springers many times need a spacer because the angle of the top tab isn't perpendicular with the fork tube. It needs to be at a different angle, and so far I've never been able to bend one. I'll give your method a try.

D536A84B-0482-4329-BC60-43DBB2E1679D.jpeg
9D4BE01C-3170-4DC7-8A31-8D0A3D1B55F2.jpeg
This morning in Middle Tennessee it’s cloudy with a chance for severe storms this afternoon….guess I’ll run out and get the final pictures of the Huffy Davidson.

Here’s my tribute to the board track racers of old…
B9095EE8-898E-4E4C-86C4-0D93A68D1589.jpeg
A79A48D0-77FA-4F5D-8BD6-3208B82E8C30.jpeg

Looking good! How does it ride? Did your work with the springer change the feel at all?

It rides well when i move the seat up a few inches. I can ride it with the seat dropped all the way down but it feels a little cramped. As far as the springer, it rides the same. When I first put it on I made sure that it worked freely which required a spacer between the bearing race and the spring mount. Once I tweeked the angle of the tab I could eliminate the spacer and everything lined up and worked freely with the spring naturally pointing in a more level position instead of pointing downward. If I had not used the spacer without tweeking that tab, it would have caused some binding in the movement of the forks and would not have rode very well.

Latest posts

Back