Huff the mighty…..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok moving this build to class 2 to conform to the rules. Here’s the starting point.
128598F1-6FA5-4EA4-BAB2-10633B24D7B9.jpeg
FC628690-ED23-4E20-9492-4F049BE025D4.jpeg

The rear stays have been cut off and custom brackets welded back on.
In this mock up the front forks came off a full suspension mountain bike and the seat stem has had a 45 degree pie cut in it and welded back together. (I’ll show pictures of the stem later.) The rear tire is currently a thick brick which I really like the look of, but it’s rubbing the seat stays so to use it I’ll have to cold form them for clearance. Front rim on it now is a 24” but will swapped out to a 26” most likely. I’ve tried several sets of handlebars, both right side up and up side down, but haven’t found a set that really jumps out at me yet. The crank set and sprocket are getting replaced too. I just haven’t removed them yet.
E4D3BF4F-2F74-46AF-859C-8E3EC32D9A2D.jpeg

Oh, I keep forgetting to mention it’s a Huffy frame I salvaged from the local scrap metal place years ago. I can’t remember the actual cost, but was cheap….like 8 bucks or something…..good straight frame and forks, but I used the forks on something else.

I have mocked up a bunch of different parts and have decided in which direction I’m going to take this. Over the next couple of weeks I’ll be busy with other things, but perhaps I’ll be able to start stripping paint and removing some unwanted brackets.

If you have time, take some photos and pop them up here. That will give us something to look at while you are taking care of business!

RaT oN~!

Looking at old photographs of board track racers I see that a lot of them had a very short rear fender. While this frame was originally met to have 26 inch tires, the modification I made to the rear drop outs only allows for a maximum of a 24” rear tire. This created an issue because I don’t have any 24” fenders I wish to cut up for this project….Then the thought came to me that since I would only be using a very short section of the fender, maybe I could get away with using a 26”. Mock up looked promising so I marked it up where I wanted to cuts and used a pair of Tim snips to cut it a little longer that I wanted it to be when finished.
7D2187B6-E92E-4861-8777-DA28152F6707.jpeg
A41ADC2D-DF44-4783-89B9-A7EAE0BEA4E8.jpeg

The center section is the piece that will be used since it has an “L” bracket riveted on that I will need to use. The rods that hold the rear of the fender are conveniently held on with screws! I will be drilling new holes where I want the support to be and viola!
A02218CB-E1DB-472A-9EC6-5C049C95BEEC.jpeg

My wife doesn’t like it when I start messing around with strippers, so when she went to visit the grand baby today I took my chance!
View attachment 161224
These are from a China made Schwinn with springer forks.
Paint stripper these days SUCK !!!! Methalean Chloride (excuse the spelling) was the active ingredient in paint stripper till the EPA outlawed it in the US, from what I understand you can still get the good stuff in Canada. But really the only way of removing paint effectively is going mechanical, ie sand blasting and sanding.

Paint stripper these days SUCK !!!! Methalean Chloride (excuse the spelling) was the active ingredient in paint stripper till the EPA outlawed it in the US, from what I understand you can still get the good stuff in Canada. But really the only way of removing paint effectively is going mechanical, ie sand blasting and sanding.
I used some on the forks without any problems, but then tried using the same stripper on the frame and nothing! I just thought it must have been powder coated or something…..Anyhow, the flapper wheel on the angle grinder made quick work of it! I just need to hand sand a few areas I couldn’t get to.

Looking good so far, I like the added bar, improves the look.
Thank you! I’ve been second guessing myself on the angle of the added bar. I think the rear should have been a little higher, but it doesn’t bother me enough to remake it! Here’s where it stands tonight….

705EBB5F-B626-489F-957E-35B1AD9DB583.jpeg
It always feels good to get the first coat of primer on a project. This one will get several more primer coat with a lot of sanding in between! It seems the flapper wheel took off more that just paint! Now the surface of the frame has gouges that need to be filled for a smooth finish. It may be a week or so before any more progress can be seen, but I am determined to get this one completed in a timely manner and I’m considering jumping into class 1 with a simple build that won’t require a lot of time: ie, no paint work, very little fab work (none on the frame) and no parts I don’t already have, or are on order…

Here is is boys and girls, the first color coat. I wanted to paint it olive, but the can I have had for a while now and never open has the spray nozzle broken off 😡! After trying a few times to get it out I decided I had better quit before I sprayed myself and everything else in the back yard….so I when and grabbed this “army green” which I knew wasn’t the color I wanted, but thought it may grow on me. In a couple of days I will either repaint it olive, or move on to the pin stripes.
5893AA99-C9CC-4D1F-B1F4-50CC92FE41B4.jpeg
219E5474-BCE6-4414-8099-2752FEA20A83.jpeg
5D8F956D-9C8D-48EA-BEF7-A716C00BAC68.jpeg

Latest posts

Back