Huffy 1986 Good Vibrations Junker to Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just love these old cruisers
I was lurking here the other night, and was looking at a thread, "Show us your Cranbrooks," something like that I believe, and there were some entries posted "I have a Good Vibrations, same bike basically " Maybe the new ones are, I don't know, but they are really quite different.
Here's a side by side with a 'newer' Cranbrook, I don't know, probably like a 2004 in background and a 1987 Good Vibrations in front.
Huffy has really have compacted their main cruiser bike, havent they? Look at the cockpit room and even the size of the chain guards, dead giveaway. The fat tubing plus the tubular fork is pure Cranbrook, that and the fact that they rust out in about 8 months.:(
The chrome, and the parts were better on the older Good Vibrations. (I have that GV torn apart now re-servicing)
I think the thinner tubing on the G.V. makes them look even older than they are.
CranVibrationsHuff-1.jpg

gvcollage.jpg

HuffyGoodVibrations1987-1.jpg

Still having fun on the last B.O. Bike. Rode the old Monteratt to the highest point in Brevard Co. yesterday, elevation. 1 ft. 9".
:giggle:
Man, what a view from up here.
MonterattMelb192-1.jpg

:thumbsup:
OK....Ride on.
franco

Last edited:
I brought a men's Huffy Good Vibrations in from the outside a few years back. Started looking for replacement parts and now I'm hooked. The Kona Brown project is still #3 on my to-do list.
OEM gear ratio was 44-19, (2.32); have parts to lower it 20% to 43-23 (1.87).
I wonder if the wheel base, axle-to-axle might be longer on the older bikes?

I brought a men's Huffy Good Vibrations in from the outside a few years back. Started looking for replacement parts and now I'm hooked. The Kona Brown project is still #3 on my to-do list.
OEM gear ratio was 44-19, (2.32); have parts to lower it 20% to 43-23 (1.87).
I wonder if the wheel base, axle-to-axle might be longer on the older bikes?

I know it's longer on the older Good Vibrations vs. the Cranbrook pictured. I didn't really measure, but lined them up close as can be side to side and the GV is definitely stretched a bit more.
You want to pedal easier Phil?
I found an old sprocket in my parts and put it on the coaster brake, I think it was a 17...so I got the ratio up a bit.like to (2.6)..of course it feels even harder on these old cruisers because of the weight and beefiness of the big tires and of the bike itself, but you get a nice pull on the wide bars so once you're up to speed it makes for a nice cruise. Just right for the flatlands of Florida.
:happy:

Latest posts

Back