Huffy "Blue Flame" Grand sons birthday project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ever since I built my Gran-daughter a Rollfast bike for her 10th birthday her 8 year old brother has been asking me to build him one, so I've been watching hoping to find the right one to get started on for his birthday in May. I have also been trying to find a RWL XKE rear slick for one of my projects when this bike popped up and fit the bill for both and the bike is in great shape (per the pics). I may have to change the color even though I would like to keep it this way but my Grandson is color blind so I'm going to take him to my buddy's paint shop and pick whatever color he likes best (but I will have to get it metal flaked). Since it's a Huffy I already have some extra parts including some nos black wall tires.

Cool little bike your grandson is going to have a great surprise ! that color looks nice .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i coached one of my son's pee wee basketball team years ago. There was this one kid who was pretty good but had a tendency to play out of position from time to time. He did it this once and I barked at him "are you blind or what?" he told me he was color blind. I felt 2 inches tall and apologized to him. I agree, let him pick whatever colors he wants for the bike.

i coached one of my son's pee wee basketball team years ago. There was this one kid who was pretty good but had a tendency to play out of position from time to time. He did it this once and I barked at him "are you blind or what?" he told me he was color blind. I felt 2 inches tall and apologized to him. I agree, let him pick whatever colors he wants for the bike.

Thanks, I know, I've coached baseball for 26 years and have stepped on myself before. He loves comics and when he draws or colors Spiderman he makes him blue and orange and struggles looking in a box of crayons so I decided when I finally find the right bike he chooses what looks best to him whatever color it is.

Well it's been a long winter and we got about 1-1/4 inches of snow yesterday and about a week ago we were in the low 70's, love the upper Midwest! So any way, running out of time to get my grandsons bike done for his birthday so I finally got it stripped today and paint tomorrow. Also working on the Super Stock build off bike, hope it warms up soon that garage is cold. :43:

Two projects at once? WOW!!

Oh wait... I'm doing the exact same thing during the Super Stock build off! I have two frames/forks to paint! LOL
It's not a sickness it's a disease . . . I'm actually working on three :crazy:

Well my Grandsons fade paint job is finally done, his pick was silver metal flake faded into a medium blue candy apple. I think it came out really nice, the silver metal flake really pops through that candy blue but like always it looks better in person than in pictures. I still need a front tires 20x1.75 and a rear slick 20x2.125 and at least a 36" sissy bar. Picked up this seat a couple weeks ago, even though it's darker blue I still like it.

Gorgeous! And great fade!
Nice paint job and what a great grandfather you are! What kind/brand of paint did you use on the bike...really cool lookin'

Thanks, I'd really like to take the credit for the paint job but a buddy of mine at Boitnotts custom paints did it for me, candy and fades are so hard to do right (at least for me) and he does it effortlessly the first time so Rob shot it for me after I did the prep. They use PPG 3 stage paints.

Looking good :) .
One of my favorite frame designs. Will be watching .

When I was a kid one of the biggest stories other than Evel Knievel was The Blue Flame rocket powered car setting the land speed record at the Bonneville salt flats (600+ mph). When I was trying to come up with a theme for my grandsons bike and he chose blue and silver it reminded me of the Blue Flame. So I looked up some old pictures and drew this out and had my buddy cut a vinyl decal for me, this is after I applied it tonight.

Latest posts

Back