Huffy Dial-a-Ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that turns the rust into a blackish color and still bumpy..I used it years ago..I think..:39: test it on something unimportant first (as with all products "tests")

It is a "conversion coating" supposed to kinda seal rust. What I do is try to remove the loose dirt scale and rust first then put it on. It does turn a blackish color on rust clear over paint. I just thought I'd mention it because some members have had "wood bleach" go at rust under paint and lift it. Rust converter has never attacked any paint I have used it with. It is kinda nasty to get on your skin "sticky" and they warn to put whatever you want to apply of product in a separate container and not put it back in the original container as the minute rust particles will cause the bottle contents to harden.

Update on this cleanup and soon to be reassembly.
Decided to clearcoat the frame and it was too much l. So I started removing it or at least tried.
Used mineral spirits with little result.
Next I went with rubbing compound to dull the clearcoat and that worked well enough.
Now the bolt on trim parts. Of course started with WD40 then some polishing compound and a coat of wax. Really didn't have to do much on this revival.
Shame the rear rack has so much contamination but, that's what happens when it's been hanging horizontally for decades in a barn.

Next will be the front fork assy, fenders and wheels.
Reassembly is coming soon...can't wait to show this one off.

a07cdcfc376d730575ca516934e200f0.jpg

eb8c9f8b0a004e31462fd66ce7f97f40.jpg

Before and after on the two tank halves...before waxing.
bcd7a07de1f4e6325f0820377df46890.jpg

96a02666bd3a888aa5a152b68f8079ac.jpg

Not too bad....
647917a7f3eaec1c5dd11dc27e61aa85.jpg

It's all about the Revival !!

How did I run out of room so fast?

I just did a major cleaning. Revived the paint a bit with compound and some wax. Because I have some chrome issues on the fenders and Dial-a-Ride knobs, the rear rack damage just carries the wear throughout the bike. Wear and tear on this bike is minimal but the obvious signs of age just have to stay. Of course the frame was worse than the rest and just needed help.
It will all flow together nicely.
Besides "Perfection is Boring". And it's 60 years old afterall.

It's all about the Tanklights!!

Last edited:
I was wondering if you would consider painting the rack black? Flat or semi like the frame. Then I looked at the earlier pictures you posted. The rack actually is 2 tone, red on top and white on the side....
Great bike!

I think the two tone vision is from some color fading. I beleive it is a one shade red that matches all the other red parts...however, the front red paint on the headtube seems to be a closer to Fire engine red shade vs the rest that is a red shaded orange.
And thanks. ..this is an awesome bike. Can't wait to ride it.
Last decision will be which whitewalls to throw in it. When found it had chain thread whitewalls so, I have a set of John's repop US Royal Chain whitewalls that I haven't found the right bike for yet.
That should look good.

I picked 2 of these chain tread wide whitewall tires up @ wallyworld almost 2 years ago.
ratbike16-8-14_zps59915a79.jpg

They look good and ride nice. Would look great on your Huffy!

WOW! The waxing worked wonders!

cb9231acdf73d9a82d7435a1e20d3c30.jpg

Great bike I would love to own one if you ever need to make space , but I seem to have the same problem . I need a real work shop . Not sure where my wife's priorities are parking her car in the garage amongst all stuff Lol !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure everyone has had enough of this one but, I haven't yet...so I finished it up tonight. Even took it for a test ride....wow what a ride.
After this showing I'll be done showing off....I'm just so exited to own it regardless of the cosmetic issues...one heck of a bike!

48550fb3500daa80c3208bac1e5557be.jpg

9cb887c6f02cc2f74abe66cd4e4e9c4f.jpg

8b88d21d9517b477f882827e27dabbc6.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't tired of it yet!
AWESOME BIKE!

Thanks....I found a decent patina'd set of whitewall Carlisle's in my shop to install. The newer whitewalls I planned on using was just too white.
Added the new NOS pedals but, once the originals are serviced and cleaned they will be reinstalled.
Headlight works but having issues with the horn. So this project isn't perfect but, it sure looks good for now.

Beautiful bike nice job . Now all you have left to do is cruise ![emoji560][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back